AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can anyone help me with this keyword issue?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

PLEASE NOTE THIS ISSUE ISN'T SOLVED

Hello,

I've a campaign that targets a particular keyword. The keyword is "wedding venues in staffordshire". I currently have an ad group that has that that in phrase match and despite it showing impressions and clicks I can never see the ad if I look for it.

I appreciate it's getting clicks and impressions but it's not the fact I can't see it, it's the fact the client can't see it and I'm at a loss to explain why. There are no "not shown due to quality or below first page bid notifications".

Many thanks in advance.

Richard

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Can anyone help me with this keyword issue?

Top Contributor
# 23
Top Contributor
Hi Richard,
I too have experienced this recently. Like you, I got frustrated to the point that I simply enabled one keyword and one ad and I still got the same message in the diagnostics tool.

I figured that this was a temporary problem with AdWords. I changed the match types of the affected keywords and changed them back again (essentially, resubmitting them) and the next day, the issue was resolved.

How long has this problem been going on for you now?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Richard. Did you use the Ad Preview Tool with Staffordshire as the chosen location?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
No but I just have an it says No...

Your ad is not showing for the keyword "wedding venues in staffordshire" ( Dovecliff Weddings > Wedding Venue )
We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget.What can I do?
One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword.What can I do?

The budget is fine so do you think this may be because I have 2 ad groups, both with this keyword.

Many thanks fo getting back to me Calin.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi, Richard.

You must control which keyword triggers an ad and you should also make sure that one search term only triggers one keyword.

Why do you have two different ad groups targeting the same queries? Do you really need this or is it a side effect?

Ideally, a search term should trigger one keyword alone. If this is not the case you should either pause the older keyword or, if it's a broader match and the second keyword is a more targeted variation, use a negative keyword in the ad group of the old keyword so that the two no longer trigger for the same search term.

Also, please wait a bit before checking. A few hours maybe. Lately I've been experiencing some strange behavior, which was not present a few months / years ago. It used to be the case that when creating a new ad group with a more targeted keyword and also placing the appropriate negative keyword in the old ad group (the broader one), the new ads were showing in a matter of minutes.

Not long ago though, after trying the same, I saw strange messages telling me that they cannot trigger the newer keyword because the older one was ranked better and also that they cannot show the ads in the ad group of the older keyword because there was a negative keyword preventing this. However, a few hours later everything went back to normal.

So if you're checking all this 30 minutes after creating a new ad group, please note that waiting a bit may help.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Richard

Just to add to Calin solution, you can do what he said and let wait and see if it will be working well. In case of other time, It's advisable to search for your Ads using Adwords Preview tool, and don't search your ads using Search engine because it will rack up impressions and affect your CTR and Ads relevancy (that is in general have poor effect on the Quality score). When it comes to client issues, first thing is to educate your client on anything you are doing for them, this will help you to relief the burden of any question your client might be asking.

Cheers

David

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks both of you.

I have a feeling this may now be a budget issue. There is only one ad group now targeting the keyword and I've paused the other ad group to see if the extra money is enough to get the budget up.

From what I can ascertain Google only shows the ad at certain times due to the budget.

I'm going to leave in another 24 hours and check back.

Thanks again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Kindy always use Ad Preview tool to check whether the keywords are generating the ad impressions else money will be deducted from your campaign budget each time which is a loss . Dont use the same keyword in both the ad groups as it wont result in some extra added benefits .Another issue with budget constraints would be you might be targeting a larger area with sparse budget which might be the reason behind message from google regarding low budget.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Abhinav,

I was using the preview tool. There were 3 ad groups, one that was doing far better than the other 2. I've paused the other 2 so now only one ad group has the keyword I mentioned. I'm hoping that the fact all the money now goes to the one ad group, the budget issue may be resolved.

I don't think it's the target area as it's mainly set to destinations up to 150 mile radius of the hotel and the budget is pretty good in fairness so I'm hoping, as I say, that all the budget going to just the one ad group may resolve that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah hopefully .Please try it and see if the issue is resolved .Hope it helps .

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Richard and Everyone, Sorry i have been busy lately.

You said you've paused the other two Adgroup and you want to ascertain some fact concerning the budget with the running Adgroup, before we can know what we want to know, we have to leave the account to run for some hours, like 12 - 24 hrs, because by then Adwords would have generated some report on the metrics we would need, which i believe the metrics we need from the report should have been generated by now.

Kindly get us updated on the report, so we can all know what to do together.

Cheers and all be good

David