AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can another company us my company name in their Google Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

basics for new advertisers

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can another company us my company name in their Google Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

It actually depends upon where the other company will use your Company name. If they are using it as keywords in their account, then as per the Trademark policy, Google doesn't really investigate it.

However, in case of Text ads, it will really depend whether the Trademark owner has actually granted other Company to use their name and have also notified Google about it or not. Otherwise, Google might investigate and restrict the use. See this policy for more insights:- https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

It actually depends upon where the other company will use your Company name. If they are using it as keywords in their account, then as per the Trademark policy, Google doesn't really investigate it.

However, in case of Text ads, it will really depend whether the Trademark owner has actually granted other Company to use their name and have also notified Google about it or not. Otherwise, Google might investigate and restrict the use. See this policy for more insights:- https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
You can only really get any protection if your company name is trademarked - if it is not trademarked then there is really nothing wrong with the other company using the name - what have they done wrong?

Even if it is trademarked, they can still use the name as a keyword.

On the face of it, this seems like an outrage - but put back in the real world this is similar to one company putting up a billboard close to their competitor's location. Or running a "comparison" type of ad in a magazine where they mention your product and their product.... there are plenty of examples....

If your company name is trademarked, then you can ask Google to stop the other company from using your name in their ads.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi

If you have registered your brand name and if it goes as a tradmark no they cant use it on ad text. however still anyone can use your brand name in keywords. it is allowed.

If you referring to your brand name used in adtext pls use bellow link to report it

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124