AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can animated GIF and Flash adverts loop?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm the director of a creative agency and recently supplied a banner to my client who has deployed it on the Google AdSense network. The design and build was accepted by Google AdSense and the advert is live but my client is concerned looking again at the advert now that it's live that it might be in breach of the '30 second animation' rule.

The animation in the advert is under 30 seconds however we did set it to loop after it finished. Having reviewed the specifications for adverts we couldn't find any clear recommendations on whether adverts are allowed to loop or not.

I did find someone asking the same question but there was no response:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords/thread?tid=038651b5934d0d69&hl=en

It would be great if someone from Google could clarify whether animations can be set to loop or not. My client is worried that the design just snuck under the Google review radar and it might be pulled from the network at any moment if in fact adverts are not allowed to loop.

Please, can animated GIF and Flash adverts loop or not?

Thank you,

Peter

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Can animated GIF and Flash adverts loop?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again raccount, I've now had confirmation that the policy is actually that motion should not exceed 30 seconds, including any looping, so your new non-looping ads should be fine.

We're in the process of amending the help files.

Hope this helps.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Peter.  I've been able to locate two references to time in animated ads, though neither specifically addresses the question of looping.  See HERE:

There is a reference to "animation length can't exceed 30 seconds" and another mentioning that any mimicking of mouse movement must last no longer than 5 seconds.

I would certainly suggest that the spirit of the policy in respect of a 30 second time limit is that this should be treated as an absolute, and include any looping, i.e. you could have a ten-second animation that loops 3 times, or a single animation lasting 30 seconds, but the total animation displayed to a user should not exceed 30 seconds.

My advice at this time would be to supply your client with a non-looping version that they can replace their existing ad(s) with.  In the meantime, I'll ask for clarification on this issue.

Regards,

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks John. Yep we saw the reference to 30 seconds there as well but indeed it didn't say whether this applied to the animation itself or the animation plus any looping setting.

We resupplied to our client (done as a top priority) just in case.

Thank you for checking into this for formal confirmation one way or the other. Much appreciated.

Whatever the outcome it would be great if Google could update their specs to make whether animation length includes loops or not crystal clear. Here's a good example of a spec document where I think it is clearer:

http://twcmediakit.com/online/ad_specs/rich_media.html

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again raccount, I've now had confirmation that the policy is actually that motion should not exceed 30 seconds, including any looping, so your new non-looping ads should be fine.

We're in the process of amending the help files.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great. Thanks Jon.

Happy to hear the help files will be updated.

Interestingly I noticed the "Google Display Network Rich Media specs" did explicitly reference loops:

http://support.google.com/richmedia/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=159750

Although even there I think your phrasing referring to motion and explictly stating this includes loops is better and makes the requirement super clear.

Kind regards,

Peter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

i know this question was asked around 2012, but we have also still the issue that our advertising banner isn't looping. The banners are in general around 13sec and added as loop.
In the help files on animated ads https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6021648&authuser=0 there's only mentioned that an add banner can loop but it must stop at 30sec.
So it's still the answer that an animation can only be 30sec even when the 13sec loop is infinite?

Kind regards

Peter

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.