AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can an Author of a book link to their book on Amazon via Adwords - NOT an affiliate link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

My wife has written a book and its available on Amazon.

I have an Adwords account that I use for clients and we wanted to do a test for my wifes book but was worried about any negative affect on the account.

The link would be directly to her book on Amazon and not contain any affiliate code.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mason T
April 2016

Re: Can an Author of a book link to their book on Amazon via Adwords - NOT an affiliate link

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mason T,

Thanks for the question.

There is no technical issue with directing AdWords ads straight to your Amazon product (book) page.

There are many performance issues that may come with this, but no policy issues to worry about.

So Google will allow it, however, such issues may include:

• You can't track conversions (because Amazon won't let you put the Adwords tracking code on their order confirmation page). Therefore you won't know which Ads, Keywords, or any other important aspects of the account settings are driving conversions. So best-case scenario is you launch the AdWords campaign and Amazon sales increase, but you won't know how to hone in on improving performance because you're shooting in the dark.
  • You have to accept that although you're directing people to your Amazon product page (and paying for that pleasure), people will browse to other sections of the site. So there's the likely scenario that you will pay for traffic to Amazon which does not purchase your product, but does purchase other products.

Have a ponder over those thoughts and let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Cheers

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

View solution in original post

Re: Can an Author of a book link to their book on Amazon via Adwords - NOT an affiliate link

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Mason T,

Firstly, I'd suggest using a different account to advertise the book on Amazon.

Google's advertising policies do not prohibit such linking. However, there are a few limitations in such cases. Here's a similar thread I'd suggest reading.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Sumanth I think you are right.

Best not to take any chances.

Thanks

MT
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mason T
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mason T,

Thanks for the question.

There is no technical issue with directing AdWords ads straight to your Amazon product (book) page.

There are many performance issues that may come with this, but no policy issues to worry about.

So Google will allow it, however, such issues may include:

• You can't track conversions (because Amazon won't let you put the Adwords tracking code on their order confirmation page). Therefore you won't know which Ads, Keywords, or any other important aspects of the account settings are driving conversions. So best-case scenario is you launch the AdWords campaign and Amazon sales increase, but you won't know how to hone in on improving performance because you're shooting in the dark.
  • You have to accept that although you're directing people to your Amazon product page (and paying for that pleasure), people will browse to other sections of the site. So there's the likely scenario that you will pay for traffic to Amazon which does not purchase your product, but does purchase other products.

Have a ponder over those thoughts and let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Cheers

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jack

Re: Advertising errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please send me your email so I can explain my issue