AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can a final URL override a tracking template?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have several ads in a single campaign with final URLs that have a single UTM parameter - utm_source.

I would like to add a tracking template (with several tracking parameters including utm_source) at the campaign level. I know that a tracking template at the ad level will override a tracking template at the campaign level, but can a final URL override a tracking template at the campaign level?

Many thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can a final URL override a tracking template?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @sarahw,

A Final URL will not override tracking template at the campaign level, the tracking info will be appended to the final URL. This is the reason, it is not advisable to use tracking information directly with Final URL. 

Let's take an example -

Final URL - example.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=RLSA

Tracking Template at Campaign level = {lpurl}?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=RLSA

Now as you know {lpurl} will be replaced with actual Final URL and the template will be added to it in the actual URL in users' browser. The actual URL in users' browser address bar will be -

example.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=RLSA?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=RLSA

= {lpurl}

= Tracking Template

Hence, the best approach would be to have no Tracking Information attached to Final URL and have it all added to Tracking Template only. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.