AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use the keywordplanner without making a campain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been looking forward to using the keyword planner tool that google offers, after all Google is the leading search engine and probably knows best about what keywords to use! However when I log in to my newly created adwords account I'm prompted to make a campaign. I can see no way to skip this screen. Is it possible to start using the keyword planner without creating a campain? Most probably I will make a campain in the future but I feel that I need to do the keyword research first anwyays.

Thanks for the help.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Archit (Rising Star)
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Emric,

>>>  Is it possible to start using the keyword planner without creating a campain?  <<<

Negative, it isn't. Google applied policy changes mid-August so as to prevent a heavy misuse of the Keyword Planner tool. You'll not be able to use the tool in a meaningful way before your advertising spend reaches a threshold.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Archit (Rising Star)
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Emric,

>>>  Is it possible to start using the keyword planner without creating a campain?  <<<

Negative, it isn't. Google applied policy changes mid-August so as to prevent a heavy misuse of the Keyword Planner tool. You'll not be able to use the tool in a meaningful way before your advertising spend reaches a threshold.

Best,

Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I Recommend you use Google Trend to do Keyword Research, if you are not yet Intrested in running a AdWords Campagin . Its a excellent Tool for Keyword Research .

Cheers !

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos, would you happen to know what the threshold is that Google has set, for use of the keyword tool?

I have a client who wants to do some of his own keyword research using it, but he is blocked from using the keyword planner.  He has spent close to ten thousand on ad spend over the past six months. His campaigns were recently paused, so we tried enabling one of the campaigns at a $1/day ad spend, but that didn't work.  

I'm sure Google didn't really intend to block use by long-term clients like this one, wondering if there is a workaround?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Steve B,

Actually we never advise fellow advertisers on workarounds. We do on likely requirements, which is a different case.

Please refer to the thread linked to below.

***   Updates to the Keyword Planner Tool   ***

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Announcements/Updates-to-the-Keyword-Planner-Tool/...

A certain user by the name @Jae B posted this finding on Aug 19, 2016. "...found out that if I spend at least the recommended amount in the range that Google provides, 24 hours later I have full access to the keyword planner." 

That seems the best approach I know about currently.

Best,

Lakatos

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the solution Lakatos.  

Also I didn't know about the workarounds protocol, appreciate the tip.  I'm the new guy on the blockSmiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I would not say it's a protocol. This forum is owned by Google, we are simply guests on their property and supposed to behave as ones ... Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

fyi by "workaround", Lakatos I meant is there a best practice, e.g. what would Google support say if you called them and asked how you get access to the keyword tool now.  I was certainly not implying doing anything devious or improper to gain access to their keyword planner.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I knew what you meant, Steve ... Smiley Happy

These posts are, however, occasionally read by hundreds of users whose vocabulary may associate workarounds with thingies like gaming the system and the like.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It's all good, Lakatos... appreciate the feedback, and I'm still learning the ropes here!