AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use same keyword for two or more subdomain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to advertise my website, which have more than 2 subdomain. It is possible or is it against any rule to advertise your subdomains with the same keyword?

example:

I advertise blog.abc.com and shop.abc.com for same keyword which is new shoes.

Thank you.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Samuel,

As long as the ads are in the same account, and ads for different sites are in their own ad groups (the sub-domain will count as a different site), you won't have any problems with serving policies.

Running both sites in a pure A/B test isn't possible because of the one site per ad group rule.

But you can run them on alternate days, or target different demographics or locations or devices to get an idea of which works best.

BTW, if one site is just a blog, that could cause a problem - Google expects to see a product or service.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Why would you want to do that?  Ideally, each ad group should be focused to a specific site/landing page, and you wouldn't have any duplication.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Samuel K,

You should review Google AdWords policies, namely the "unfair advantage policy" as it is a serious violation to serve two ads for one business, app or website. 

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Samuel,

As long as the ads are in the same account, and ads for different sites are in their own ad groups (the sub-domain will count as a different site), you won't have any problems with serving policies.

Running both sites in a pure A/B test isn't possible because of the one site per ad group rule.

But you can run them on alternate days, or target different demographics or locations or devices to get an idea of which works best.

BTW, if one site is just a blog, that could cause a problem - Google expects to see a product or service.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yup, because our manager want our website and every subdomain (because subdomain treated as one different website) appeal to at least one keyword which most relevant to our business. So is it better to make it more specific?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob, 

Thank you for your explanation. It really helps.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yes.  I'd definitely try to make it more specific.  I try to ask my clients which page/product/site "owns" a keyword set.  Each ad/ad group should serve a specific purpose.