AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use broad match modifier in negative keyword?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm dealing with a client in the freight business. I have numerous queries where users search with the source and destination in the query. E,g, cheapest freight price London to Shanghai.

The client cannot cater for all routes,

e.d. China to Uk is fine,

China to Ireland no good

Ireland to japan fine.

It doesn't quite work if I ban a single country/location with negative keyword. I have to match it with two countries. It's also not really practical to use "china to ireland" in the negative keyword list because people can use many different forms, they can use city names instead of country, they can use china export to ireland, china freight to ireland etc etc etc.

Would be great if I could use BMM to ban search qeries that have two of the specified keywords. Anyone know if it works?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Can I use broad match modifier in negative keyword?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi MC,

BMM is not available for negative KW.

This situation is interesting though.  Is it possible for you to target campaigns to specific regions?  For instance, if you used countries of origin as your separator.

So you have a campaign targeting Ireland:

You could then use negatives for the countries that you cannot ship to from Ireland.

Not sure how feasible that would be for you but it's a thought that popped into my head.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

As far as I know, the Broad Match Modifier does not work in negative keywords.

I sympathize with your problem but suspect that mining your search queries and adding the most common appearances of inappropriate phrases is going to be your best strategy.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi MC,

BMM is not available for negative KW.

This situation is interesting though.  Is it possible for you to target campaigns to specific regions?  For instance, if you used countries of origin as your separator.

So you have a campaign targeting Ireland:

You could then use negatives for the countries that you cannot ship to from Ireland.

Not sure how feasible that would be for you but it's a thought that popped into my head.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’