AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use Ad Scheduling with Accelerated Delivery Method?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Can I use Ad Scheduling with Accelerated Delivery Method. For Instance, I want My Ad to Show up between 8-12AM in Accelerated mode. Then From 1-5PM in Normal Delivery Mode. And Again from 5-9PM in the Accelerated Mode. Is it Possible?

Thanks in Advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vishal Joseph
September 2015

Re: Can I use Ad Scheduling with Accelerated Delivery Method?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vishal, the simplest answer that occurs to me is to use two Campaigns.  One scheduled to run 8-12 AM and 5 - 9pm in Accelerated Mode and the other to run 1-5 PM in Standard Mode.

I have to ask why you want to do this though.  If you have a limited budget, Accelerated Delivery is likely to mean your Ads stop running at some point (potentially meaning that the Accelerated Campaign won't show any Ads after 5pm, unless you use three Campaigns).  If your budget isn't limited, Accelerated Delivery offers no benefits over Standard Delivery.  (Accelerated Delivery doesn't show your Ad more times than Standard, it simply doesn't spread the delivery throughout the day.)

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Vishal, not that I can think of; as Clynton said, at present you cannot programmatically change the budget delivery method.

More importantly there'd be no point doing it in a single Campaign, as I explained in my previous message.  Accelerated Delivery is no different from Standard Delivery when there is sufficient budget.  Therefore, if you were running a single Campaign, your Ad delivery would be quite strange and I'm still struggling to think of a situation where you'd want to work this way.  This is how AdWords would see the changes:

08:00 - AdWords has a budget and will try to spend it as quickly as possible.

13:00 - AdWords now has to try and spread any remaining budget across 8 hours (bear in mind AdWords knows the schedule runs until 9pm, but doesn't "know" the delivery method is going to change.

17:00 - AdWords now tries to spend as quickly as possible again, if any budget remains.

This model is strange because unless you're happy to occasionally have very few Ads shown in the 5pm - 9pm slot, you'll have to set a budget that allows Ads to show pretty much all day, in which case you may as well simply use Standard Delivery and schedule as necessary.

Can you explain why you're trying to work this way?  There may be other options but if you do need to do this, the very simplest way is to use two or three Campaigns, and that's not that hard.

Jon

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vishal,

I do not think there is any way to do this. It can not be done with automated rules and as far as I know adwords scripts only allows the budget.getDeliveryMethod() with no set or change. Unless this has changed, you can only use scripts to see what the delivery method is of a campaign.

Perhaps it can be done through the API, but then you would have better luck asking on that forum.

Anyone else know of a way to do this?

Good Luck
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vishal, the simplest answer that occurs to me is to use two Campaigns.  One scheduled to run 8-12 AM and 5 - 9pm in Accelerated Mode and the other to run 1-5 PM in Standard Mode.

I have to ask why you want to do this though.  If you have a limited budget, Accelerated Delivery is likely to mean your Ads stop running at some point (potentially meaning that the Accelerated Campaign won't show any Ads after 5pm, unless you use three Campaigns).  If your budget isn't limited, Accelerated Delivery offers no benefits over Standard Delivery.  (Accelerated Delivery doesn't show your Ad more times than Standard, it simply doesn't spread the delivery throughout the day.)

Jon

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Jon_Gritton Haha! Well played! That did not even occur to me, was too focused on the direct issue and it seems the lateral thinking took a hit. Had a good chuckle that I missed such an obvious solution.

That being said I will agree wholeheartedly here with Cobnut, it does seem like a strange request and I would take the advice he offers to heart!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I like things simple Clynton, I have a very old brain. Mind you, I'm usually the one who wants to dive into Scripting at every opportunity...

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Is there any way of doing it with a single campaign?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Vishal, not that I can think of; as Clynton said, at present you cannot programmatically change the budget delivery method.

More importantly there'd be no point doing it in a single Campaign, as I explained in my previous message.  Accelerated Delivery is no different from Standard Delivery when there is sufficient budget.  Therefore, if you were running a single Campaign, your Ad delivery would be quite strange and I'm still struggling to think of a situation where you'd want to work this way.  This is how AdWords would see the changes:

08:00 - AdWords has a budget and will try to spend it as quickly as possible.

13:00 - AdWords now has to try and spread any remaining budget across 8 hours (bear in mind AdWords knows the schedule runs until 9pm, but doesn't "know" the delivery method is going to change.

17:00 - AdWords now tries to spend as quickly as possible again, if any budget remains.

This model is strange because unless you're happy to occasionally have very few Ads shown in the 5pm - 9pm slot, you'll have to set a budget that allows Ads to show pretty much all day, in which case you may as well simply use Standard Delivery and schedule as necessary.

Can you explain why you're trying to work this way?  There may be other options but if you do need to do this, the very simplest way is to use two or three Campaigns, and that's not that hard.

Jon