AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I test conversions from a different subdomain? (staging vs. prod)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a front end programmer. I'm trying to confirm whether or not Adwords pixels are working. I'm rendering pixels but it does not appear to be working.

Is it true I have to wait 24 hours to see conversions in the Adwords dashboard?

What makes this a bit more complicated is that these pixels are already implemented properly on my company's current site. I'm trying to test them on the new site that hasn't gone live yet. The new site has a different subdomain than the current site. Would that explain why the conversions don't seem to post in the dashboard? Is there a way I can test end to end on the subdomain?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rich G
September 2015

Re: Can I test conversions from a different subdomain? (staging vs. pr

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rich G,

The AdWords conversion code works with a 3rd party cookie. It will track the conversion properly on any domain.

Yes, conversion imported from Analytics can take up to 24 hours to report. Reporting of AdWords conversions is a little faster, but not in real time.

In order for the "tracking pixel" to fire, you must have 3rd party cookies enabled in your browse, you must have clicked on your ad within the last 30 days, and you must visit the page the holds the conversion code. Remember, this will also report your conversion as real, and that may confuse your marketing department. There is no sandbox for developers.

If you are not showing the text, you can make the pixel a different color than your page background to make it easier to find. Then set it to the same as your background color when you are done testing.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Can I test conversions from a different subdomain? (staging vs. pr

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

HI Rich,

Petebardo is correctSmiley Happy

In Addition to that,

Is it true I have to wait 24 hours to see conversions in the Adwords dashboard?

No, Adwords updates the dashboard within 1/2-1 Hour, so no need to wait for 24 hours to see the conversion in Adwords dashboard.

I'm trying to test them on the new site that hasn't gone live yet. The new site has a different subdomain than the current site. Would that explain why the conversions don't seem to post in the dashboard?

AS you have mentioned that your new site is not lived, so it is not possible to track the conversion in adwords.

So first you need to live your new sub domain site and Create a campaigns for that sub domain then you check the conversion in Adwords dashboard.

Hopeing your doubt is cleared.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’