AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I make Text and Image ads show at the same time on a site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

If I have an ad group containing one text ad and one image ad - can both ads show at the same time on a site if the "display site" has both text and image ads?

If not, perhaps I can make this happen by seperating the text ad and the image ad into seperate adgroups (with same keywords)?

Thanks,

Carl

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I make Text and Image ads show at the same time on a site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carl, the answer is "no" for both ideas, I'm afraid.  For any given keyword (Search) or site (Display) only one of your ads will trigger at any time,

Google has very strict policies against even attempting to do this - known as "double serving" - see below:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=14179

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Carl,

I would suggest seperating both the display network and search network into seperate campaigns. This way, you can target specific search queries on Google and it's search partners with text ads as well as contexually target sites across the internet on the display network with image ads. This will also help you determine whether the search network or display network provides a greater return. You can then reallocate budget appropriately.

Thanks,

BlueIon 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,

My display network and search network are already in seperate campaigns, but thanks for a good advice.

Perhaps I should seperate my display campaign into 2 campaigns using the same keywords, but 1 campaign focusing on image ads and one focusing on text ads, or perhaps that is "over doing" it?

I undersand that in general image ads have higher CTR compared to text ads, but I don't want to remove all my text ads since not all sites accept image ads...

I find it a bit hard to undestand how to optimize display campaigns when using both text and image ads!

Carl

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Carlin, I'm now a little confused about whether I've understood your initial question...

Are (were) you asking about displaying text and image ads at the same time on the same site, or just asking about the best way to implement text and image ads?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I want to know the best way to implement text and image ads (display network). Sorry for the confusion Smiley Happy

Carl

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Not a bad idea to segment text and image give you more control over bidding too becuase you will often find that you need to bid more for image than text ads.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Carl,

Just in case the answers were absolutely clear, it is commonly recommended as a best practice to separate your text ads and image ads into differenet AdGroups or different campaigns. I'm running mine in separate AdGroups within the same campaign so they can share exclusion lists. This also means both text and image ads share the same budget. That might not be what you want, you'll have to make that decision.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I run now run my text ads and image ads in seperate "display" campaigns (it actually is possible to share exclusion lists and negative keywords with other campaigns).

My display campaigns have been up and running for 3 days and I have already received 500 000 (!) impressions. The CTR is only 0.04% I have the feeling this isn't optimal. Smiley Frustrated

What is the recommended strategy to only show ads on relevant sites on the display network?

From "Networks" tab I can see the sites where my display ads are shown (Automatic placements) and I have started to exclude under performing sites, but it seems like and endless project to every day go through that list.

Perhaps I should start using "managed placements"? I can see that using the placement tool I can find relevant sites and add them to my display campaigns.

But if I only run managed placements and all of a sudden CNN.com publish an article on my exact subject, my ads will not show on that site since that site is not added to managed placements..?

It would be great to hear what strategies you use when it comes to display campaigns!

Carl

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey Carl,

.04% CTR for display network is not terrible but getting kinda low.  With auto placements that is a somewhat expected CTR.  Since it is only 3 days in it might be a little early to tell if the auto placements is not working but if you are confident that it is not going to be easy to control then Managed Placements might be the way to go.  

Here is a Wiki article on selecting managed placements: http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Selecting-Display-Network-Managed-Placement...

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'