AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I exclude business pronouns from being added to keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I have a query about what is the best match format for my campaign...

I want to offer an internet service for hotels (can also include other hospitality businesses), but I don't want guests of a hotel to be searching how to access their hotel internet. The ads are clearly worded for hotel-management, but we're still getting too many irrelevant clicks.

Ideally, I want to use a phrase match without allowing the specific name of a hotel.

For example:

Allowing:

hotel wifi

hotel wifi systems

hotel wifi solutions

hotel wifi [numerous locations]

wifi for hostel

wifi for school

hospital wifi

fast hotel wifi

best hotel wifi

But not allowing:

Mercure hotel wifi

Radisson hotel wifi

Dukes hotel wifi

ibis hotel wifi

etc etc

I've added negative keywords such as connect, access, login, hack etc, but is it possible to specifically remove the hotel pronouns??

Exact matches may be a bit too limiting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kirsty G
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can use broad negative keywords, so if you want to exclude specific brands then add "Radisson" as a broad negative keyword (and exact). You can also apply negative keywords at the adgroup level or campaign level, so that can help you organize your negative keywords better.

As far as what match type to use for positive keywords, you should use a mix of different types. Using Broad Match Modified and Exact can be very beneficial, because you want to be sure to catch any searches that can trigger your ads. Here is a guide on how the different match types work: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kirsty G
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can use broad negative keywords, so if you want to exclude specific brands then add "Radisson" as a broad negative keyword (and exact). You can also apply negative keywords at the adgroup level or campaign level, so that can help you organize your negative keywords better.

As far as what match type to use for positive keywords, you should use a mix of different types. Using Broad Match Modified and Exact can be very beneficial, because you want to be sure to catch any searches that can trigger your ads. Here is a guide on how the different match types work: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en