AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I do CPA for contact page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company is service based agency. There is contact page. My question is that can I do CPA with service based website? For example cost per contact inquiry. We can assume that contact inquiry as action.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Amit S,

Just display a thank you page to the user when he has completed and submitted the online contact form, put the conversion code in the html of the thank you page and there you are. In the Conversion actions table remember to set the value in the column "Include in conversions" to yes so you can apply the Target CPA automated strategy after accruing a reasonable number of conversions for the algorithm to rely on.

The above is just for orienting you briefly. Come back to the forum please if you lose your way or want to clarify particular details.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Amit S,

Just display a thank you page to the user when he has completed and submitted the online contact form, put the conversion code in the html of the thank you page and there you are. In the Conversion actions table remember to set the value in the column "Include in conversions" to yes so you can apply the Target CPA automated strategy after accruing a reasonable number of conversions for the algorithm to rely on.

The above is just for orienting you briefly. Come back to the forum please if you lose your way or want to clarify particular details.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Amit,

Basically the acquisition part of CPA can be anything you determine to be meaningful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Amit, id like to add to / clarify some of the answers here and see if @Lakatos and/or @RobSkelton have feedback:

In the past Google only allowed you to turn on CPA campaigns only if you had 15 conversions over the past 30 days. This is because it needs conversion data to decide how to optimize. Nowadays, Google allows you to set CPA campaigns earlier but doing so is a real hit or miss, especially if you dont have conversion data - because Google is shooting in the dark at what will lead to a conversion.

From my experience, doing so will usually lead to Google over-spending to try to hit your target CPA OR it will choke your keyword bids and traffic trying to hit that CPA.

Manual bidding works much better at first, if done correctly, because you can push and pull keywords based on your knowledge of how relevant they are to your business - as a human you can make these qualitative calls, and done correctly you are much more in control and less likely to lose money or choke out campaign.

Even when there is a lot of conversion data CPA campaigns dont always perform well, or as expected, so then you can turn it on for a period time and assess whether it works for your business. In my experience CPA optimizer is still hit or miss, regardless of your conversion history.

Would love your feedback @RobSkelton @Lakatos

Best, Lior

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Lior K,

Your notes that are probably based on personal experience are highly appreciated and there is a lot in it that I should agree with and echo. Anyone considering triggering an automated bid strategy should read your contribution twice before doing so.

I am a bit more optimistic though and while I agree that advertisers are strongly advised to first accrue a reasonable amount of conversions on their own I represent that automated bidding may be a great help if it is properly monitored and controlled with caution - with special regard to an initial period after machine learning is just triggered. At the end of the day, however, automated bid strategies might prove highly time saving and beneficial when you need to handle a huge number of keywords / ads / ad groups etc.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I don't automate anything until there is enough data in place. That includes ad rotation. In my experience automation in AdWords is very useful and profitable at scale. But for smaller campaigns and anything new, AdWords confuses what works for individual accounts and what works in aggregate across all accounts. That's the hit and miss part - it can work well across all accounts on average, but not necessarily for individual accounts.

Basically, the algorithms jump the gun and sometimes make the wrong decisions because there is not enough data to be statistically relevant.