AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I damage adword account permanently?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am a  beginner in adwords and have standard access to my company's adword account managed by a professional adword certified agency. I have been playing around in same account by making a campaign with around 500 keywords to generate some more leads for business. All of the keywords in my campaign had very low quality score and ads won't trigger. so, I deleted all keywords and added around 250 new keywords close to each other and relevant to ad group.

Can I damage this account by playing around or experimenting? Can quality of account go low permanently and cannot be fixed due to my stupid mistakes or experimentations?

Thanks for suggestionsSmiley Happy

Sal

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SachNYC
July 2016

Re: Can I damage adword account permanently?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @SachNYC,

Congratulations on diving in and wanting to learn and grow traffic for the client.

Yes, you can create a mess that can bring down the quality of the account that only hard work (and smart work), money and time can repair. While it wouldn't be permanent, it would take time.

Adwords provides a great feature for doing what you are doing so that it does not affect the actual campaigns and preserves them while you play, or should we say test and experiment.

Adwords Experiments

You can run one experiment per campaign at a time, testing the performance of different keywords, ads, and ad groups. Your experiment can include existing keywords, ads and ad groups, new keywords, or both. When you set up your experiment, you can choose how long you want it to run and what percentage of searches will see your experimental changes. Whether you want your experiment to start on a scheduled date or start manually is up to you.

Further, adding 500 keywords is completely wrong. You should have dedicated Ad Groups with around 15-25 keywords ideally targeted and with high quality scores. Think with more precision. Focus in on specifics. 

Take some time reading over Google Best Practices, which you should enjoy greatly. 

Happy Saturday and have a great weekend!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SachNYC
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @SachNYC,

Congratulations on diving in and wanting to learn and grow traffic for the client.

Yes, you can create a mess that can bring down the quality of the account that only hard work (and smart work), money and time can repair. While it wouldn't be permanent, it would take time.

Adwords provides a great feature for doing what you are doing so that it does not affect the actual campaigns and preserves them while you play, or should we say test and experiment.

Adwords Experiments

You can run one experiment per campaign at a time, testing the performance of different keywords, ads, and ad groups. Your experiment can include existing keywords, ads and ad groups, new keywords, or both. When you set up your experiment, you can choose how long you want it to run and what percentage of searches will see your experimental changes. Whether you want your experiment to start on a scheduled date or start manually is up to you.

Further, adding 500 keywords is completely wrong. You should have dedicated Ad Groups with around 15-25 keywords ideally targeted and with high quality scores. Think with more precision. Focus in on specifics. 

Take some time reading over Google Best Practices, which you should enjoy greatly. 

Happy Saturday and have a great weekend!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your suggestions and links. Very helpful

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Very welcome!

Have a great weekend and post back any further help you need while learning more about Google Adwords.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@SachNYC;

AdWords account factors in the past performances which  slowly diminishes over time.

So it will take  a while until you could gain again good performance. Meanwhile, you'll have to optimize the campaign quite frequently and closely monitor the performances.

Because you are new to AdWords I would recommend to  apply moderate changes- monitor performance- optimize, and move to the next step, in iterations, until the campaign reaches a "steady state".

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. So, I added those 500 keywords first, ran for an hour, deleted all 500 keywords and then added 250 and then deleted them too. Now, I have 20 closely tied keywords. But it still is showing that no ads are being served due to low quality score. Question is - have I caused issue in account with these actions and if not why ad isn't showing?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

No, your account is not damaged and therefore not showing you ads.

Your website landing page + keywords + wording of your ads = why your ads are not showing. They all have to have decent quality scores, and have relevancy to each other (which greatly determines the quality score).

More about quality score

You are doing great to have moved from 500 keywords to 20 closely tied keywords. Now the ads need to have relevancy to those keywords, and both of those need to have relevancy to the webpage the ad is linking to.

If your keyword scores are 6 or above, great... leave them alone for now. Now, if are getting a warning about the ads being low quality, you have your answer. Rewrite the ads with the landing page subject and the wording of the 20 keywords in mind.

Once you have these main components set, give it time to start working. Move slowly and concisely.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@SachNYC

Hmm... This is interesting....
AdWords is a system which prefers a steady state of its variables, and any change should be closely monitored so performance would not diverge.
The changes you made were too fast;
Now:

• Are the current keywords were part of the original list of KWs? (If they are completely new they should have a QS of 6)
  • What is the range of QS of the current list of KWs?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Most of the keywords are new. They have QS of 6 for all of them. I ran it for 2 hours. Got one impression. Not very good.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@SachNYC

For now, let the campaign to stabilize and gain impressions (or not) before making further changes (for at least 1-2 full  days. I usually let 3 full days, for a medium size campaign).
I would also higher the bid - that is the only way to gain high enough ad-rank until the system  gains enough data to calculate QS based on your own (campaign)  performances.

I would also encourage you to read and familiarize yourself with the literature about ad-rank and QS which @James_Clemens included in his replies.