AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I change the bidding strategy for Mobile App Install Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I go to the campaign settings. I'm only given one option for my mobile app install campaign, which is CPA. I can't manually manage my bids. When I go to change the Max CPC on a keyword, I get an error saying the bid strategy needs to be set to manual before I can make individual bids. How come the only bidding strategy I can use is automatic CPA?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darren L
September 2015

Re: Can I change the bidding strategy for Mobile App Install Ads?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to say that the bid strategy depends upon if your app is Android or iOS. You're right, you aren't able to change it. I apologize, I didn't realize Android and iOS were different. 

Here's what Google says:

Bidding for app downloads

For Android apps in Google Play, we can automatically track installs as conversions, so the default bid strategy is a cost-per-acquisition (CPA) bid. If you have conversion tracking set up, you can set a target CPA bid to match your app’s cost-per-install (CPI) value, and we’ll optimize your bids to help you get the most downloads. Learn more about target CPA bidding.

For iOS apps in the Apple App Store, you’ll need to set up conversion tracking manually, so the default bid strategy is a maximize clicks. Learn more about tracking mobile app installs as conversions.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 11
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Darren,

I've tried doing the same and I can use other Bidding Strategies as well for the same Android App.

Here we go:

1.png

When we click on the 'Edit' option, it takes me to the page where it does not allow me to change the Bid Strategy i.e. By default it is Target CPA., and other options are greyed out. Like this.

2.png

But, Instead of clicking the 'Edit' option, if you click the 'Select' option from the 1st image I shared, it takes me to this page.see the image below:

3.png

Here it allows me to select the manual CPC option and It allows me to bid individually for keywords as well. However as Amy Bishop shared earlier, by default it is Target CPA as system considers installs as conversions. but can change it also.

Please try this as well!

-Prashanth Reniguntala

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Darren,

What I understand from your question is that you might have selected the option of CPA when you have created this campaign and so now when you wan to bid for your keywords individually the system tells you to change the Bid Strategy. Like this.

Error CPA and CPC.png

You can change this at the Campaign Level, Go to Al Online Campaigns and then select the campaign and then click on the Bid Strategy tab and then select the Manual CPC option.

CPC in Mpbile APP Campaign

All the more, if you create a new Mobile App Campaign, the settings allow you to select a Bidding Strategy, Please select the Manual CPC option from the Drop Down and then specify the Default Bid.

Once this is done, You can add keywords and then bid individually for all your keywords as well. 

Hope this helps !!

Prashanth Reniguntala

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't get that option. This is for a different campaign type. This is Mobile App Install Ads campaigns. This is the option that I get.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.18.21 AM.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Darren,

Manual CPC should be an option. Can you click cancel and send us a screengrab of what the screen looks like at that point?

Best,
Amy Bishop, Clix Marketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's what I see when I go to the Settings tab of the campaign. Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 11.19.57 AM.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happily! and then when you select edit does it take you back to the same screen grab you had previously sent? If not, can you send a screen grab of what that looks like?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup. When I click edit, it takes me to the first screenshot I posted. Which only looks like I can change the CPA. I'm starting to believe that you can't set keyword bids manually when doing Mobile App Install Campaigns.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to say that the bid strategy depends upon if your app is Android or iOS. You're right, you aren't able to change it. I apologize, I didn't realize Android and iOS were different. 

Here's what Google says:

Bidding for app downloads

For Android apps in Google Play, we can automatically track installs as conversions, so the default bid strategy is a cost-per-acquisition (CPA) bid. If you have conversion tracking set up, you can set a target CPA bid to match your app’s cost-per-install (CPI) value, and we’ll optimize your bids to help you get the most downloads. Learn more about target CPA bidding.

For iOS apps in the Apple App Store, you’ll need to set up conversion tracking manually, so the default bid strategy is a maximize clicks. Learn more about tracking mobile app installs as conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah I think you're right. Although the documentation doesn't explicitly say other bidding strategies aren't allowed ... It just says that this is the default. Oh well. Thanks for looking into it though!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
No problem, I wish I could have found a loophole! I was wondering if you could use a flexible bid strategy but I couldn't find any documentation...