AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I append UTM parameters without changing the Final URL in Adwords Editor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't want to lose the history on my existing ads and simply want to add a UTM to the end of the URL. Is it possible to append without sending my ad back in to editorial review?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I append UTM parameters without changing the Final URL in Adwords Editor?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Matt,

Absolutely. Google now allows you to add tracking parameters to your url. There are different levels of the account, i.e. account level tracking parameters, campaign level and ad group level. You'll want to find out which utm parameters you wish to add and do so at the appropriate, meaning at the level of which it will apply to all your ads. If these are general utm parameters you can do so at the account level using shared library > url options then select edit next to tracking template and add them (no need to add the "?" as it starts this way).

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Re: Can I append UTM parameters without changing the Final URL in Adwords Editor?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Matt,

The best way to ensure you do not lose history when you update your Final URL for the ads is to replicate the ads, pause the ones without the tagging and then upload the replicated ads with the required tags back to the account.

You may face an issue here when you try to upload the ads, since your updates ads are the same as the old one the system may overwrite over the old ads, to avoid this, I recommend that you use the editor, create a bulk upload sheet with the campaign, adgroups mapping for each ad. Next step is to edit the headlines in all your ads and add a " * " at the end.

Adding the * makes the new ads different from the old one and the editor will treat these as new ads thereby avoiding the overwriting issue. Once the ads are uploaded to the editor, just select all the ad with the * and then do a find replace (CTRL+H) and replace the * with nothing.

The new ads will now be ready to be posted live to the account.

Incase you do not use the Editor and are not familiar with it, here is a video I had worked on that may help: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Videos/Adwords-Editor-Tips-and-Tricks/ba-p/543763

Hope this Helps!
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"