AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can I advertise multiple domains/websites in one AdWords account?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Many advertisers with more than one website often ask: "Can I advertise multiple domains/websites in one AdWords account?"

There is no restriction against advertising multiple websites in one AdWords account. There is a policy in place that requires all ads in an ad group lead to the same website, however, this does not extend to campaigns or separate ad groups.

Having said this, it’s not normally recommended as best practice to advertise multiple websites in one account. I’ve detailed a few reasons below that I hope will help you make a more informed decision:

Policy

For policy considerations, it is usually a better idea to use separate accounts for different domains. This will ensure that if there is a policy issue with one website in future, it will not have a negative impact on the other, compliant website.

Account Settings

An account can only have one currency and one time zone selection. As such, it is a good idea to place different domains in separate accounts if the accounts require different currency or time zone selections.

Payments

All websites in one account will be billed under one billing profile. This means it is not possible to split out the costs and pay for each website domain or campaign separately.

It is for these reasons that I always recommend only advertising one website in your AdWords account. If you would like to advertise multiple websites, consider setting up an AdWords Manager Account/My Client Center (MCC) account so that you can log in with one email address and navigate to each individual AdWords account from your master MCC account.

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I advertise multiple domains/websites in one AdWords account?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hopefully this helps with this commonly asked question!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Really, It is FAQ of every advertisers.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV 

Do you agree with what is written above ? Always one website in one new AdWords account ? Is this a new policy ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I know I'm not Moshe, but I would not interpret this as a change in any policies. You can still use multiple domains in an account, that's not a problem. It's simply recommended for policy reasons, if you think you may have some policy issues, to separate your (clients) domains (websites) into separate accounts. This isn't suggesting that advertisers try to work around the system. Perhaps it's geared toward account manager that for whatever reason, decide to manage what should be multiple accounts, for multiple clients, in one account. That is a very bad idea.

I think this is just summarizing some FAQ's.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi All,

This is not a policy change, but more of a FAQ or recommendation summary on how to best structure the advertising of more than one domain.

As stated in the original post: "it’s not normally recommended as best practice to advertise multiple websites in one account".

Kathleen

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is this entire advice directed strictly at agencies who handle multiple websites that belong to different advertisers ?

Or is it also intended for simple advertisers ( as the section is "Basics for new advertisers" ) who have multiple websites for the same business or different businesses ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I have learned so far, this advice about opening multiple accounts for different websites will most likely lead to suspension due to the double serving policy. For reference read from here message 5

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Confused-about-Double-Serving/m-p...

Also message 7 from here

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Does-multiple-companies-mean-multiple-acco...

Does this mean that the double serving policy is going to be canceled ? 

Thank you

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

HI Adrian B, 
You seem to have misunderstood the aim of this post. We have seen that advertisers can find themselves in situations where they were not aware of the implications of advertising multiple websites within the same AdWords Account. Hopefully this post will prevent issues arising for new or existing advertisers who have the question "Can I advertise multiple domains/websites in one AdWords account?".

Scenario: New agency who isn't aware of how the billing method works sets up one campaign for Client A with Website A and another campaign for Client B with Website B in the same account.

• When it comes to billing, the agency cannot give each client a broken down Invoice from the Billing Summary specific their own spend. If each client has its own account, they could simply be sent the invoices automatically generated at the end of each month.
  • If there was a Policy issue with Website A that lead to an account suspension, Website B would be restricted from serving ads until the suspension was lifted. If each client had its own account Website B would not be impacted by the Policy violations from Website A.
  • If Website A was advertising a business based in North America, and Website B was advertising a business based in Europe, there would be a lot of manual calculations needed to understand the results and set up the campaign for anything based on time of day for the campaign running not set to the Account's time zone. If each client had its own account it would make things much easier to set ad scheduling, or understand which hour of the day generated the most clicks, as examples. 

To be clear. This does not mean that the Double Serving policy is redundant. As always, advertisers have to follow our Policy Guidelines, and you should not have the same website (or similar websites offering similar products and or products with similar pricing) in multiple accounts. 

Kathleen,

AdWords Community Manager

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I misunderstood. If this advice is for agencies , than it makes sense to separate clients in different accounts.

Thank you for the example and the clarification about double serving.