AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can CPM on a display campaign be predicted?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've conducted plenty of search campaigns, but a client wants to consider a brand awareness campaign on the display network, using a CPM strategy. Before he commits, he wants an estimate of impressions he'll get for his budget. Is there any way I can get even a neighborhood estimate for him? Will an outside service like SpyFu give me any kind of useful information for a CPM campaign? I appreciate any input!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kirsten T
September 2015

Re: Can CPM on a display campaign be predicted?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kirsten,

Welcome to the Community!

You can use Display Planner to get this estimate. Display Planner gives these estimates, based on historical data for your targeting criteria. More info here.

Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Kirsten - My experience has been that display planner tends to err significantly on the low side of what you will actually pay, especially if you are placement targeting specific sites where you want your ad to appear. If it says $1.00, it could be significantly more than that - like $3 o $4.00. Again, this is especially true if you are placement targeting certain sites. Your best bet is to run a small campaign to see what's realistic before promising him something for a larger campaign and then finding out it is not realistic.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kirsten,

Welcome to the Community!

You can use Display Planner to get this estimate. Display Planner gives these estimates, based on historical data for your targeting criteria. More info here.

Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Glad I could help Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Kirsten - My experience has been that display planner tends to err significantly on the low side of what you will actually pay, especially if you are placement targeting specific sites where you want your ad to appear. If it says $1.00, it could be significantly more than that - like $3 o $4.00. Again, this is especially true if you are placement targeting certain sites. Your best bet is to run a small campaign to see what's realistic before promising him something for a larger campaign and then finding out it is not realistic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a very good point, and important to me because we *are* talking
about highly managed placements. Thanks very much for the heads up.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
you are welcome. Also, keep in mind quality score does apply as well, although for display ads, it is not possible, to my knowledge, to view what your quality score is. Managed placements can be really unpredictable in terms of the price you pay and in terms of the impressions you get even when you adjust max cpm super high...if you've only got a handful of sites, you may want to consider setting up direct relationships with the sites, especially if you do not need to target using demographics like gender and age. Just a thought.