1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns at SKU level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone currently set up their campaigns/ad groups at the SKU level?  We have a large retail site and I was thinking of re-arranging the campaigns by SKU so we can better manage based on margins & profits by product id.

Does anyone see any pros or cons to setting up with way?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaigns at SKU level

[ Edited ]
WSJ
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
WSJ
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It all comes down to time and how relevant your skus are to keywords people are typing in. I would definitely spend the time upfront making sure i have themed my adgroups properly. This should help with quality scores and conversion rates. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

hi dsmithmiles and welcome to the forum.  WSJ has some good insights here and I'll expand upon them if I may.

It's very important to identify with your customers.  If you're like any other retail firm I've ever worked for, you probably talk about your products in terms of their SKUs all the time, but do your customers?  I'd start this experiment by looking very closely at the search terms people use to find your products and the conversion paths they take.

Secondly I'd make sure I'm not just including all my products for the sake of it.  If you have an even reasonably large product database, you'll have a very large Account structure by the time you're done so it's important not to waste time on products that don't perform via the web (or at least via that type of Campaign).

I certainly wouldn't set up by Campaign, I wouldn't think.  The primary use for a Campaign in this case would be for budget control but I'd probably look to group my products into 4 or more "categories" rather than trying to control budgets at an individual product level.  I might organise into Campaigns related to how well they sell, or their ROI, or their conversion rate, etc.

As a final thought, if you've got a large product base, you may find it useful to get up to speed with Scripting, or at least Automated Rules and even the API.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You should also look at integrating the Google Merchant Center with a product feed.