Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign structure for this ecommerce project

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Im creating first campaign for my client and im little bit confused how to aproach structuring my campaign.

He wants to advertise 4 categories:

- compatible cartridges

- remanufactured cartridges

-  compatible toners

-  refillable ink cartridges

Each of this categories has around 6-12 brands... lets say:

- Canon

- Xerox

- Lemark

- OKI

- Brother

- HP

- Samsung

- Konica minolta

- Kyocera

And each brand has 10-20 different products.

What is the best way to structure this? Should i create 4 different campaigns for each category (compatible cartridges, remanufactured cartridges...) and then AD groups for each brand? 

This is my first ever campaign so i would really appreciate every advice

JM.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign structure for this ecommerce project

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jakub,

There can be number of ways to do it. But i suggest you should create 1. Brand + Product 2.Only Product based campaigns.

for Example

Cannon + Product 1
Only Product 1

so on.....

Let me know if you have further query.

Robin

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Just by way of looking at this from another angle - I assume you are looking at search campaigns - since I imagine you will also be running a shopping campaign, but the structure is handled differently in shopping...

For search most people are going to be looking for ink/toner for their specific model of printer - sure some people will run a generic search for, for example, "replacement printer cartridge" and you might get lucky and sell to them - but for most of those searches the results are going to be next to worthless for the specific user. So they will refine their search and the most obvious refinement is going to be with the make and model.

At this point most people are probably not going to be thinking in terms of reconditioned, original or compatible cartridges, so you can possibly present the options in your ad so that it shows they still have a choice with you.

Thus my thinking would be towards campaigns by brand with ad groups by model. Once you see the traffic and the sales levels you could then flesh out further to put a specific popular brand and model into it's own campaign and then split the product type into ad groups - but if you start with brand x model x product type you are going to have a couple of hundred campaigns and the data could take a long time to become meaningful...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys,

So basically you are suggesting that i should create campaign for each brand for example - BROTHER and put all of the printer MODELS into ad groups, right? Something like this? https://gyazo.com/e10388e59f2976fb5e38f92a293e4698

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
That's probably what I would do - although ad groups for every single model might be over the top - for example - one of our printers is a Xerox Phaser 6215N - I would probably include all the phaser models in one ad group - and have all the model numbers as keywords within that group.

Then, if I saw a volume of traffic for the phaser 6125N - I would move that into its own ad group and if it was still a winner - eventually into its own campaign so as to make sure it has it's own ads, budget, scheduling etc to maximise its impact.

-

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much mate Smiley Happy
One more question - for some of the models there are more colors avaiable but every color has different product page.
My question is - should i link my ads to black color toner or ill link customer to search page - DCP9040 toner and it will show all colors option avaiable for particular printer.
1st option - https://gyazo.com/6c4b46a84ab731d146bb19458c8940aa
2nd option - https://gyazo.com/321e50ac51c57bb2aa968b0575c3e1e4

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jakub M
August 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jakub,

You can run two ad copies by putting both destinations urls & do A B testing.

Robin

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Later you can check which works well for you & pause the rest one.

Robin

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Or simpler still use Google Content Experiments to test the two landing pages against one another.

@Robin Sidana is right - testing will be the best approach here