Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign structure based on match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me a few pro's for building a campaign with the exact/broad structure. E.g.:

Exact campaign

Broad campaign

Exact campaign

Broad campaign

What are the advantages of using this type of campaign structure? 

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rosa D
September 2016

Re: Campaign structure based on match types

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Rosa,

I think the main case for campaigns split by match type is increased control over your performance (EXM) and prospecting (BMM) terms. It is a bit more complex, and does require more management but I think the benefits make it worthwhile.

A few of the other comments suggested building campaigns by website structure / products & services - which is 100% correct but, there is no reason you cannot follow that as a best practice as well as splitting campaigns by match type.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Rosa,

Good question!

I don't recommend structuring your campaigns around keyword match types.

Instead, I recommend structuring your campaigns based upon the products/services you want to advertise and the geographic locations you want to target.

Here are some ideas from Google about how to best structure campaigns: https://support.google.com/partners/answer/6172648?hl=en

I hope that helps!

John

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Rosa,

Another fundamental starting point is to factor in the structure of your existing website to a high degree. Reason is that during the years you developed the website as it is now, you invested a lot of thoughts, efforts and considerations into how to shape it. All that important reasoning and arguing based on your business goals, that have led to your current site, are mostly also applicable to how you should start developing the details of your advertising style within your AdWords account.

Best,
Lakatos
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rosa D
September 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Rosa,

I think the main case for campaigns split by match type is increased control over your performance (EXM) and prospecting (BMM) terms. It is a bit more complex, and does require more management but I think the benefits make it worthwhile.

A few of the other comments suggested building campaigns by website structure / products & services - which is 100% correct but, there is no reason you cannot follow that as a best practice as well as splitting campaigns by match type.

Good luck!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yeah, basically I do agree with Kevin. Splitting campaigns by match type may offer you additional control and be beneficial in lots of cases. John and me wanted to point out that it is typically not a top priority or a fundamental requirement.

Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Do you have any historical data, or are starting out from scratch? 

If, after years of advertising you know the top converting exact match search terms that generate the most revenue for your business - Then, definitely put those premium terms into their own campaign, and dedicate as much budget as you can, or need to in order to achieve 100% of the potential impression share. If not, then you risk leaving money on the table because of your account structure.

If you are just starting out, then less structure can definitely be an advantage to you. The larger your account structure, the more difficult it is to analyze and optimize the account (especially for beginners). A handful of broad match keywords and a comprehensive negative broad/phrase match keyword list may be the most effective structure to find those top converting profitable search terms.

The key is not to assume anything. Smiley Happy Test, analyze, and optimize continually over time, and eventually you will know for sure what works best for you.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for your great inputs. I'm not a beginner in AdWords ;-) I just don't agree with this structure, but needed ad few arguments which were pro the structure. Your answers were very helpful.