Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign structure - advice and opinions appreciated

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

I am rebuilding my adwords efforts and would appreciate comments & opinions on the structure I plan to use.

Currently, I have one campaign with 67 modified broad match keywords (every word with a '+') with one keyword per ad group and match variants turned on.

This is proving to be more costly than my last campaign, which was those same keywords but with three different match options (once again, every keyword in its own adgroup). So I would have +purple +widgets as one adgroup, "purple widgets" as another and [purple widgets] as another. (so that campaign had a couple of hundred ad groups)

For my new strucuture I have expanded my list of keywords from 67 fairly generic terms out to around 500 keywords - that includes the generics but most are now quite specific terms.So now I have terms like [buy purple widgets] and [purple widget reviews] and [who uses purple widgets]. My hope is that these longer-tail terms will have better QS, CTR and costs than using the broad match modified versions.

So with this list I am considering creating 3 campaigns - one exact, one phrase and one modified. I would then negative keyword the exact match terms in the phrase and broad modified campaigns, and negative the phrase in the exact match. My plan would be turn off the match close variants option in all campaigns. I would use the same ads in each campaign for the relevant keyword.

What Im hoping to do is shift my impressions and clicks away from broad modified into the more exact phrases - I think this will lower my costs considerable. 

My key questions are:

1. Is this a sensible structure to pursue?

2. Do I negative keyword the phrase and exact terms in the broad match modified campaign?

3. Do I need to stick with one keyword per ad group, or can I put very similar keywords (like [buy purple widget] and [buy purple widgets] and [buy widgets that re purple] into one ad group?

4. If some terms come up as 'low search volume' (whichI'm sure they will) do I leave them in the campaign or kill them off?

Also, I'd appreciate any general thoughts about my plan (before I embark on buidling a massive spreadsheet!).

Many thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AdMan
September 2015

Re: Campaign structure - advice and opinions appreciated

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for being so thorough with writing your ideas out, but this is too much work.

No. This is not a good plan. Keep all your keywords in 1 campaign, remove all the modified broad match keywords. Go with ONLY Phrase & exact keywords of the 67 broad match variations you already have. Here is a suggested break up of the account from the campaign level for you:: 

Purple Widgets (Campaign) (Close Variants OFF)
 - Purple Widgets (AdGroup)

- +Purple +Widget (Modified Broad - the only one ever with anything to do with Purple or Widget. Don't add more)

- Purple Widgets (Exact Match)
   - Purple Widgets (Phrase Match)
   - Purple Widget (exact)

- Purple Widget (phrase)
     - Buy (negative)

- Review (negative)

- Rate (negative)

- Android (negative)

- iPhone (neg)

- iOS (neg)

- Androind Purple Widgets (AdGroup)

- Android Purple Widgets (Exact Match)
   - Android Purple Widgets (Phrase Match)
   - Android Purple Widget (exact)

- Android Purple Widget (phrase)
     - Buy (negative)

- Review (negative)

- Rate (negative)

- iOS (negative)

- iPhone (neg)

- iPhone Purple Widgets (AdGroup)

- iPhone Purple Widgets (Exact Match)
   - iPhone Purple Widgets (Phrase Match)
   - iPhone Purple Widget (exact)

- iPhone Purple Widget (phrase)

- iOS Purple Widgets (Exact Match)
   - iOS Purple Widgets (Phrase Match)
   - iOS Purple Widget (exact)

- iOS Purple Widget (phrase)

- Buy (negative)

- Review (negative)

- Rate (negative)

- Android (neg)

- Androind Purple Widget Review(AdGroup)

- Android Purple Widgets Review (Exact Match)
   - Android Purple Widgets Review (Phrase Match)
   - Android Purple Widget Review (exact)

- Android Purple Widget Review (phrase)

- Review of Android Purple Widgets (phrase)
   - Review of Android Purple Widget (exact)
   - Review Purple Widgets Android (phrase)
   - Review Purple Widgets Android (exact)
     - Buy (negative)

- Rate (negative)

- iOS (negative)

- iPhone (neg)

So to summarize, the structure created here is based on intent / Like Terms. I encourage you to put phrase & exact match together in 1 adgroup. it will make your life so much easier. Use negative keywords to make sure you are excluding like-terms from another adgroup. This type of adgroup level nomanclature will also help you stay organized and understand at a quick glance how traffic is doing. 

2 - You should not create a new adgroup based on modified broad. Duplicate keywords refer to keywords of the same match type in more than one adgroup, not duplicated inside 1 adgroup. If you keep all your match types for 1 unique key phrase in one adgroup, you won't be allowing the keywords to compete against each other. Keep all like terms in the same adgroup as shown above in the sample. 

3. Mostly answered above. Create a new adgroup for 1+ keywords that have the same or similar intent. if Buy is used in the phase, then anything with Purchase or Buy can be put into 1 adgroup. If Rate or Price is used, put that in 1 adgroup. If you see low Quality Scores, break them out into their own groups (one group for each: Rate, Price, Purchase, Buy). But watch the scores and the ad relevance to the keyword to see if there is a significant difference. 

4. Put them in the Keyword Tool to analyze their monthly impression data. If you see the traffic is really low and you are unsure if you want to keep or get rid of them, there is no punishment for having more high-quality keywords in the account. You can even use a Label or the name of the adgroup to designate Low Impression groupings. 

Some other things I just wanted to mention "buy purple widgets" as a phrase is mid-tail. it is not long tail. Long tail are those low-impression keywords that have high Conversion Rates and low CPAs. A whole bunch of these in an account will assist the head terms (see lists above) and theoretically lower your overall CPA. 

Good luck!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

Well... This was a long question and a long answer; Smiley Happy I will be shorter...

Though I agree with the concept Jasmine outlined, I will NOT remove the BMM. This is a good match type without "synonyms behind it". (As with the "classic broad match"). Thus, I would include it, with the lowest bid . (i.e. Highest for exact match; a lower bid for "phrase match", and the lowest bid for BMM.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jasmine,

Thanks so much for the time you invested in your answer - I really appreciate it!

I'm going to run with the architecture you have outlined. My concern was that putting different match types in the same ad group was counterproductive, but you have out my mind at rest in that regard.

Thanks again - you've been a big help.

Craig

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't disagree with that either - good plan! I was mostly going for the largest decrease in costs.

When I've done an analysis of CPC at match type level I've seen that exact is even cheaper than phrase sometimes. Have you seen the same, Moche?