AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign for new concept with low (direct) keyword volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My venture's product and services revolve around a relatively new and less prevalent concept called "Skills Profile" or "Skills Profiling". The keyword search volume for these are low.

The problems that the concept and the applications around it are widely prevalent - and search volumes are high - such as "employee engagement", "talent management", "career development" etc.

Now if I run a campaign around "Skills Profile" or "Skills Profiling" it wont help as the volume is low. If I run around the high volumes they could be misleading.

So how do I use Google Adwords for doing campaign for our concept? Or is that Google Adwords cannot be used for our case?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramu G
November 2015

Re: Campaign for new concept with low (direct) keyword volume

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Ramu G

Adding a plus (+) sign to a term in your broad match keyword makes it modified broad match. For instance -

talent management is a broad match keyword. But talent +management, +talent +management  or talent management +services   and other such variations with plus sign to them are modified broad match keywords.

So what does the plus sign do here?

It modifies the way a broad match keyword works. Everything will remain the same as broad match keywords, but the system will make sure that your ads trigger only when the users search queries have your modified terms in them. 

More can be found here -

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Ramu G

I'll move your thread to th Adwords part of the forum

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Ramu G;

You need to expand the list of keywords: the goal is to have a list of keyword which are not too broad (resulting in irrelevant traffic), while on the other hand, not too narrow.

The method to do that is, first to find relevant  keywords using the keyword planner,  and then refine the list  using match types and negative keywords   with the  help of the search terms report.

Here are the articles which explains it all:

Using the keyword planner to find keywords:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

Improve keywords:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453976?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I will go through the links you have shared.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello @Ramu G,

Agree with @MosheTLV as always Smiley Happy . I will try to take it forward and be more precise on the same line.

Once your have refined the terms that are relevant to your offerings, spend some time to analyze action oriented terms and filter out the research oriented phrases. For instance, if somebody searches Google for employee engagement, his search intent may be research in most of the cases. But, a search query like employee engagement services can be deemed definitive in terms of user's search intent being action oriented. 

Again, as you somehow are in a niche industry, you will need to make sure that you are not being very much restrictive in your search for relevancy and in action orientation of the keywords. 

Hence, you should go ahead with Broad Match Modifiers and a list of negatives in place. This strategy will allow you to make a balance between being too broad and too narrow. Broad Match Modifiers will allow you to expand to most of the relevant searches and would yet assure that your most specific and relevant terms are in users' search queries. 

Does that help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan

Thank you for your thoughts. It is useful. Would you have time to clarify what"Broad Match Modifiers" means or how to approach this?

Regards

Ramu
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramu G
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Ramu G

Adding a plus (+) sign to a term in your broad match keyword makes it modified broad match. For instance -

talent management is a broad match keyword. But talent +management, +talent +management  or talent management +services   and other such variations with plus sign to them are modified broad match keywords.

So what does the plus sign do here?

It modifies the way a broad match keyword works. Everything will remain the same as broad match keywords, but the system will make sure that your ads trigger only when the users search queries have your modified terms in them. 

More can be found here -

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Ratan