Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign example to target trades person

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for some help in boosting awareness and app downloads through paid search.  

The AdWords campaign I'm setting up will target trades people, such as plumbers and electricians. I was wondering if anyone has any previous experience of this type of campaign and if they could share their thoughts on which of the following would probably work best: 

Search network only and one of the following - Standard 

- All features

- Mobile App installs

- Mobile App engagement 

OR Search network with Display Select

Thanks and if anyone would like further clarity I can give more detail. 

David

Re: Campaign example to target trades person

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@David J

Unless the app performs a function that people are specifically searching for, I think you'll find that search will not be very cost effective.

If you want to promote the app as something these trade professionals will find useful, it's probably best to do a display campaign that targets mobile users.  You might also try a mobile app install campaign. The trick will be correctly targeting an audience that consists of trade professionals. 

Are you able to give more specifics on what this app does exactly?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I agree with David - Awareness is definitely more of a display network tactic than search. If/when you do start to see some downloads as a result of increased exposure, then perhaps look into a Mobile App Installs campaign.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, thanks David.

No problem, the app provides a job scheduling and invoice template function for plumbers, electricians. 

The app has recently been launched, but hasn't been advertised yet. I haven't used Google Display before, would you be able to give me some advice on where the adverts may show for this sort of campaign? And what would typically be regarded as a successful click through? 

Thanks if you can help, I'm a new advertiser and really enthusiastic about Paid search. It seems that you have to be passionate about this topic to do well, as it's quite technical and ever changing. 

Re: Campaign example to target trades person

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@David J

You might be able to do some search for that, but I suspect the volume will be low. I still suspect the clicks will be expensive, because they will potentially compete with plumbers, electricians, etc. advertising their services to consumers. Make sure you use exact match or broad match modified that includes words like software, scheduling, program etc. so that you are not serving ads to consumers who are looking for services.

The Google Display Network is huge, and has the potential to show up on all kinds of apps and websites.  However, you can control where the ads appear.  Because your product is so niche, I think testing some managed placements would be the best place to start.   I would research websites where these trade professionals congregate online.  I would search for "plumber forums," "electrician forums," etc. and make a list of all the websites that appear appropriate.

More information on how to setup managed placements can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/99502?hl=en

I hate to send you off network, but I think Facebook ads are worth looking into with this scenario.  You can target people directly who list their job title as a plumber, electrician, etc.  on their profiles.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I suggest you try a display network campaign targeting online forums/communities and blogs for plumbers and electricians. Search campaign is only useful for promoting products and services that people already know about and are actively looking for it. Your idea seems to be unique and very niche, therefore a search campaign wont get you much traffic. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

Thanks again. 

I've set up a Facebook campaign advertising the services to plumbers and electricians. It's achieving the amount of impressions that I would like, but I've spent £45 and only one person has downloaded the app. 

Would you you be able to offer any advice please? I was hoping to target 100 app installs with a £500 budget, but am way behind this target. Would you suggest a cheaper alternative to advertising on Facebook and driving installs or is it a case of more testing with the target audience/advert text. 

Many thanks