1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign auto tagging in GA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How can I make sure that my Adwords campaigns will show up in GA. Doesn't auto tagging in Adwords take care of reporting on: medium (cpc), source (google), campaign (Adwords campaign name), term (keyword)? Or do I actually have to append UTMs for campaign at least at every keyword?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Johnny K,

Auto-tagging with your AdWords and GA accounts properly linked is the best way to go. You don't need to use manual tagging unless for any reason auto-tagging does not work on your site.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Yes - Auto tagging will report all those parameters, and many, many more. @petebardo is really good with this kind of stuff. Smiley Happy If you are having issues with auto tagging properly reporting, he may be able to help you figure out why. Smiley Happy

Tom

Re: Campaign auto tagging in GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Johnny, to make sure that you're using auto tagging, click on the Account settings icon (gear at the top right corner of your adwords screen. On the left hand side of the new window, click on "preferences" then you should check wether auto tagging is enabled. See atttached image.

Account Settings – Google AdWords.jpg

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there, yep auto tagging is enabled, but here's the current setup and where I think it could be problematic:

- I run Google search campaigns where the ads link to Unbounce pages

- Unbounce forms are linked with Marketo where the leads go

- In Marketo - I currently have the setup where it looks for UTM parameters, hence why I manually appended UTMs to all of my search KW destination URLs to ensure Marketo was properly mapping leads coming in from Google search (fyi the current filter is set to utm_source=google which works for now because Unbounce pages don't rank on organic, but if I ever did start pushing SEO traffic then it'd be an issue because I won't be able to distinguish between paid/organic Google traffic)

What other parameters can I set with auto tagging? There are a bunch of fields I can map in Unbounce in Marketo but I have no idea which fields auto tagging is picking up. I thought of:

referral traffic = google

+

medium = cpc (since Google auto defines AW traffic as cpc, but would this be UTM_medium?)

OR

url contains gclid

Any ideas?

Thanks!