1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Targeting: Excluding by radius

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm working with a new client who has a franchise shop and has agreed not to advertise in other shop's territories. We'd like to target a much larger area for 'catering' searches but need to block ads around the other franchise shops. It appears that i can not use radius targeting to exclude areas around the other shops within a larger target area. Why? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David S
April 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

However, I've accomplished my goal of excluding competitive franchise locations within a larger location targeting radius. I've added the 12 mile radius around other shops as an additional location, then set a location bid adjustment in AdWords with a decrease in bid amount of 90% less. I figure the ads won't show in those locations. 

Note that I've set the location options (advanced) to target people within my location--the original large radius around my client shop. 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Usually this is because the radius is too small to be excluded, or you are in a country in which the minimal Geo-region to target is greater than the area within the selected radius,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi David,

You have make a list of pin code/zip code of all other franchise shops. In the campaign's setting go to- Locations>Targeted locations>Edit>Advanced Search>Search

Add entire counrty/state/city that you want to target & exclude zip code of other franchise shops.

Thanks

Pankaj S.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Pankaj, thanks for the reply. Radius targeting does not include an 'exclude' option. Only ADD or NEARBY. The zip codes and other map-dependent areas (zip codes, city boundaries, counties, states, etc) don't match the desired radius at all, and in fact exclude some important locations. 

I believe the final answer is "radius targeting does not allow target area exclusion". 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Moshe, are you seeing the 'Exclude' option on radius targeting locations? Not seeing in my campaign settings. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David S
April 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

However, I've accomplished my goal of excluding competitive franchise locations within a larger location targeting radius. I've added the 12 mile radius around other shops as an additional location, then set a location bid adjustment in AdWords with a decrease in bid amount of 90% less. I figure the ads won't show in those locations. 

Note that I've set the location options (advanced) to target people within my location--the original large radius around my client shop.