Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Restructure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is going over previously covered ground but I couldn't see anything.

We have been looking to restructure our campaign as it had got a little bit messy. We are looking to use existing phrases that we have been using as well as additional ones. The issue we are having lies with the existing phrases that we are looking to transfer over from the existing campaigns, to the new campaigns.

Despite entering the same phrases as previously used in our existing campaigns into the new campaigns - Adwords is now saying that our bid is Below The First Page Bid. An example of this is for one phrase we have an Avg CPC of £0.26, having installed this exact phrase into the new campaign we have the "Below First Page Bid" warning with an estimated bid of £2.25.

Having spoken to the Adwords advice team they said this was because an Ad develops its own search history which lowers the cost over time, and when entering the exact phrase as part of a new campaign - it loses this history.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this and whether this is something that balances itself out over time. Or will it be a case of finding a new way to restructure our campaigns so that we don't lose this search history.

I hope that makes sense and many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign Restructure

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Booth
Thank you for bringing this up. This is caused by a change that AdWords recently introduced (quite quietly mind you) a few weeks back. I'm experiencing this too and I have to say, it's infuriating. ESPECIALLY for keywords that you've/we've already been using.

Unfortunately, the only way to get out of this hole is to bid your way out. You have to pay the high price for the "new" keywords so that they get history so that Google can assign them the "correct" quality score.

It's not going to settle until the keywords get impressions. The only way to get the impressions is to pay the inflated prices.

We have clients who restructured exactly the way you did. Their account has effectively stalled because they can not and will not pay the inflated prices. Some clients have had to leave their accounts in the messy state rather than pay. If the keywords you're targeting have relatively low volume, you could be paying those higher prices for quite a long time.

Sorry I don't have better news. If it makes you feel better, there's a lot of others in the same situation.

Re: Campaign Restructure

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Booth,
Here is the announcement: https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/aw9kTjzGLcz

I'd encourage you to participate to share your problem there too.