Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Negatives not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Been suffering a rather odd occurance...

I'm running a Brand campaign targeting keywords for "Advertiser A" and as I didn't want to appear against competitor terms, specifically "Advertiser B", I placed a number of Advertiser B brand name variations and misspells as campaign-level negatives on Broad, Phrase & Exact match.

Problem is the ad was still showing against Advertisers B's brand term as AdWords was expanded-broad-matching it to Advertisers A's brand term, despite the negatives.

I have resolved the problem by adding in the Advertiser B negatives at group level (and had that not worked I would have rolled out Broad Match Modifiers), but why didn't the camapign level negatives work? One-off glitch or wider issue that needs addressing?

Has anyone suffered anything simialr, or can shed some light on this one?

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign Negatives not working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello JC_NB,

One way of dealing with it would be to use more specific positive keywords inside your Adwords campaign, so that your ad shows up on specific terms only.

When you include broad matches in your campaign, then Adwords is going to show your ad literally to the broader user queries related to your terms. 

And with current Adwords phrase and Exact matching options getting more wider in a way that the close variants are also included with those match type keywords, you can expect much more traffic with these 2 match type keywords only. See this for details.

Additionally, you can also analyse your Search Terms Report and see what queries have been delivered with what match types on Google Search Network. It will help you in building up more negative keywords and including them at ad group/ campaign level also so that you don't show up on irrelevant queries especially for Broad matches.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj1782,

However, regardless of match-type a negative keyword at camapign level should block any matches to that term.

If I bid on apples on broad match with the campaign negative of oranges, then my ad shouldn't show for any search that contains the word "oranges" -  But this is what has been happening in my account (albeiot not fruit related Smiley Very Happy).

Any other ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again JC_NB,

First thing to understand is that being an advertiser, we should not actually see the live search results on Google. This will hamper our own Impressions, CTR etc... Google has provided Ad Preview Tool for this, where real time results can be checked without accruing impressions. So, its better to check there.

Did you actually check the Search Terms Report, which is the best indicator of what keywords are triggering what kind of queries with respective match type?

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again pankaj1782,

I already use the ad preview tool and search query report, infact I have been working in the PPC industry for the last 8 years, so know my way around. Smiley Wink

What I am looking for help with is: what is causing an ad to trigger when it should be blocked by a campaign negative.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again,

Honestly, I have not seen my ads getting triggered from the words I don't want, by effectively using the negative keywords at ad group and campaign level coupled with Search Terms Report analysis.

Being in this industry for so long, I am sure, you would be aware of Negative keywords list also, where you can include a set of negative keywords and introduce them for multiple campaigns in one go. Just a thought.

Keywords Tool also gives an idea of potential negative keywords also, if you haven't tried it yet.

Lastly, if you think that still your ads should be blocked by adding those negatives, you are most welcome to contact Adwords and they will investigate on your behalf.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi JC!

Could it be that you have added oranges but is searching for orange (without S) ??
Just a thought...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi JC,

Could it be possible that you have oranges as positive keywords too mistakenly may be?

In order to sought out your issues we are just thinking of possibilities. As Pankaj said, I also have never seen any negative word triggered my Ads untill unless I forgot to add plurals as David pointed out.

Thanks
Neha

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David,

I thought that it could be related to plurals or variations of the term, but I specifcally searched for the the negative that was added at campaign level and it was still showing Smiley Sad.  Yet when we added exactly the same negatives at ad group level the ad was blocked correctly Smiley Frustrated.

Perhaps just a glitch in the Matrix! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks all for your help!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey JC

Thanks for bringing this issue in notice. Its strange that this was happening with you,personally I have never faced such an issue.

But now I atleast know that if something similar happens with me,I would not be the first one to have faced itSmiley Happy