2.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Call extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you use your business number in a call extension, not a Google forwarding number, does that allow you to get free calls?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author William H
September 2015

Re: Call extensions

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

Adrian ;

NO. My initial answer still stands. -  I will explain:
You need to be familiar with Google's editing / writing style. When Google says "may" it usually means "often". As you know, I prefer to "keep it simple" answering "generally", or to explain the "common", and rather not get "too deep". (Adwors is a very complex system...)
The advanced options I keep for a follow up question. (If asked)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You are charged per click; No additional charge for the call.
Read more:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What I don't understand is: If someone seeing your phone number on the SERP, dials your business number there shown, how can Google even know of the call so as to be able to charge you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

• On desktops - the user doesn't get to see your phone number. (Because the user can't call by clicking)
  • On mobile - there is an icon  to "click to call", and the call is registered. (No phone number shown in ad text). If you use a Google forwarding number (in the US) then you get additional metrics about the call .(e.g completed; duration...etc,...)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello William,

Things are described here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3364314?hl=en&rd=1

1. Extensions show on all devices by default. Unless you use scheduling for your Call extension or targeting a Display Network campaign, On desktops, the phone number is displayed near Ads all the time.

The system has no way of knowing if a call is made from someone who just sees the number in the desktop Ad. What you can do is to set 2 numbers one for desktops and one for mobiles if you want to know which ads bring the most conversions.

Even if you have a call extension with a preference for mobiles, it will be displayed on desktops too if it is a single number. The preference only means that from 2 ads one with a phone no. for desktops one with a phone no. for mobiles, mobile impressions will carry the mobile preffered phone number.

2. Quote from that help page "If you're using Google forwarding numbers, you can also see details about the valid calls that connected, including which calls lead to conversions (if you choose to "report phone call conversions" when you create your call extension)." 

So in your case you won't see valid calls that connected with a normal number in the AdWords reports.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Adrian 

I did not want to get into this in my first replyץ (not to make the answer complicated....)

However, if you raised the issue,  a correction:

Quote:

"On desktops, the phone number is displayed near Ads all the time"

A correction on that: Call extensions on desktop  are not shown all the time. On the contrary - more times they are  not shown than shown....  On desktops call extensions are shown only if there is enough space, or ranking  meets a certain threshold, (I don't have time to  look for the reference. Check the "fine print" on the page you linked)

This what I recommend to advertisers is: "don't count on it. Assume that it will not be shown (as usually happens)  and have a clear phone number  shown on the landing page".

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is interesting information. I have some ad groups with a -100% for mobiles and call extensions. These are statistics from last 7 days from them , from the Segment - This extensions vs. other. There is no difference in impressions on call extension vs other ( which include headline impressions).

impressions-of-phone.png

And I never noticed my Ads to show up without phone number even in low positions like 6 or 7. I have read again the help page and I am unable to find where this problem of rarely showing up call extensions is explained.

I know however that sitelinks are extensions that do not show up unless the Ad has a high rank, high enough to bring the Ad in positions 1. 2 or 3. But Location extensions, call extensions appear in my case all the time on desktops in all Ad positions. That being said , the reality in other accounts could be different.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I will later find the reference and quote. "Call extensions" on desktops are not always shown on desktops. ("not always" is NOT the same as "rarely" )

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, this is important for me to learn.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Here is the quote:

"....There is no minimum click requirement to show call extensions, but extensions may not show all the time due to space, quality, and other constraints."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3364314?hl=en&rd=1

Under: "fix a problem with call extensions"