4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Call-Only vs Call Extensions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have read one or two comments on this community site, and have one or two thoughts at the moment.

I have also read this page:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453991?hl=en-GB

Which TBH I find a little confusing, as Call-Only and Call Extensions are apparently two COMPLETELY separate things?

However, does anyone know exactly how Googles adwords system can tell whether someone is conducting a search on a mobile phone or standard laptop/desktop browser?  Is it just via the browser ID for example?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call-Only vs Call Extensions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi

Well im not sure about the technology behind identify the device type, However system is capable of identifying mobile/ desktop even the different operation system in mobile devices using analytics

About the call extension and call only campaigns, yeah they are two different things. In call only campaign user only can call directly using the ad text but in a ad text that contain call extension user have the option of calling or clicking and visiting the site

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I apologize if I appear to be repeating what you've just stated, but to clear this up, what you're saying is, that the difference between an ad with a call extension, and a call-only ad, is that with a call-only ad, you can ONLY click a call button (and there ISN'T a hyperlink which directs the user to a website), whereas, with an ad with call-extension, the user can EITHER click to the website or dial the number on the ad?
If so, with a call-extension ad, if viewed on a mobile phone, does a call button appear, or will a number just be displayed?
Another thing I've just found, although there might be a separate thread for this, is that my ads ALL have a call-extenion, but sometimes my number DOESN'T display. I've actually just tested this one, and NO number was displayed.

Thankyou for your help.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
You are correct about the difference between call extension and call only ad. And even in call extension when you viewing through a mobile device call now button appears.

And yes extensions may not display ALL the time in an ad text. So if u using call extensions there are times that extension may not appear depending on ad rank you getting from particular auction. This is same for all the extensions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nisal,

Thanks for that.

It's a bit funny how this ad ranking thing works, because I've been testing one particular text ad on my mobile, and a couple of days ago, it was showing a call button, but so far recently now, it isn't.  And it's worth pointing out that I'm referring to the ad being in the SAME POSITION at the bottom of the mobile phone page.

If I've got both call-only ads AND ads with call extensions running AT THE SAME TIME (either in the SAME campaign or a different one), how does google prioritise which ad type it shows?  In other words, if someone is searching on a mobile device, do my call-only ads take priority over the normal ones?

I ask because so far, although the adwords diagnosis tool (the little box where you get to select the mobile OS that you want to test on), says that my ad is indeed running, I have no other way of checking, because so far, any searches I have done on my mobile phone, have always appeared to show the normal ad?

Call-Only vs Call Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The major differences between call only vs call extensions are - 

i. With call extension, the ads are shown on almost all the devices but in call only campaigns your ads will not appear on the devices that can make calls.

ii. In call-only campaign there is no need of landing page as it's solely focused on driving calls.

iii. With call only campaigns you need to bid on Phone Call Clicks not on Website Clicks.

iv. With call only campaigns you don't have to bid for devices as we have already said that it will show only on those devices where users can call, but in call extension based campaigns you can bid for devices.