5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Call-Only Ads vs Call-Only Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

If I have a business that wants call-only ads but still wants their campaign to show on computers, this is when I would want call-only ads inside the regular campaign, right?

Is there any point in having 2 campaigns - 1 that's call-only and 1 that's normal with mobile set to -100%?

If there is just a call-only ad (not campaign), will Google ever show my other regular ads on mobile devices instead?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
January 2016

Re: Call-Only Ads vs Call-Only Campaigns

Community Manager
# 12
Community Manager

Hi Joy,

I've followed up with the Calls team and have gotten to the bottom of this:

Before Call-Only campaigns, there was a call-only feature available that allowed you to click a checkbox on an ad with a Call Extension and make an ad call-only. This was retired with the launch of the new Call-Only Campaign type and call-only ads, and had to be upgraded to the call-only ad type  in order to continue driving calls.

You are correct that call-only ads are available in both Call-Only campaigns and regular Search Network campaigns, mixed in with other ad types.. However, the recommendation by the product team, including the Call Ads Product Manager, is to keep these ads in a Call-Only campaign, or at least a separate campaign.

The reasoning here is that if the goal is to drive calls instead of clicks, you will get better results with more strategic targeting, i.e. what works for a call-only ad will not work for a text ad, and vice versa. Housing them in a Call-Only campaign allows you to set an appropriate ad scheduling, budgeting, bidding strategies, language and location settings, etc. for your call-only ads. They also help you to understand the value of the campaign, since this separates phone calls from other conversion actions which are captured in Search Network Only campaigns. You can choose to group all of your ads together in a single campaign if you find you do not need separate budget or setting changes for ads targeting calls, but it is still recommended to keep them in separate ad groups.

You can read more in-depth about their recommendation in this G+ post.

My apologies for the confusion with my previous post. I hope this clarifies and answers your question!

Cassie

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @JoyHawkins;

Hmm.... Not quite...

Call only campaigns  are aimed at  businesses which focus on calls and are structured (in terms of CRM etc...) to convert on the phone rather than online.

If your business has both conversion  channels set up (i.e. for online conversions and also to  receive calls) go with  call extensions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I agree with MosheTLV in general, but I don't see a problem with testing that. The call-only campaign replaced the call-only ad format. When it was available it would apply to phones only. Desktop ads would still go through to the site. The current call-only campaign option is phones only. If the client product/service needs a website to convert people on desktop, this holds true most of the time on mobile. I can think of a few exceptions, which is why I say it might be worth testing.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@MosheTLV I'll get more detailed Smiley Happy

One example is an insurance agency. For computers we send the person to a detailed quote form that frankly no one on mobile would ever fill out. People on mobile tend to always want to call (based on what we've found). Adding call-only campaigns resulted in a huge increase in the call volume. I was just wondering if we need the campaign or if adding the ads would suffice.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
exactly one of the exceptions I was thinking about.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins;

I agree  with @David Kyle.

In this scenario, it would be worth testing 2 separate campaigns.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

@JoyHawkins Just want to clarify here: call-only ads within a regular campaign are no longer available. With the rollout of the Call-Only campaign type, which shows ads only on devices capable of making calls, the call-only ad type was retired. So in short--yes, you need to have a separate campaign if you want to run Call-Only ads!

Cassie

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hey @CassieH I'm confused about this. I just checked a few accounts and we totally have Call-Only ads running in regular campaigns. We also still see the option to add call-only ads. See screenshot below.

Call Only Ad.png

Owner of Sterling Sky

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Wow, I thought they were retired too. I have not noticed that before. It used to be that setting was in text ad creation box.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
David,

Yep - and the ads are getting clicks & impressions too. So they still work.

Owner of Sterling Sky