AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

CPM or CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a Display Ad using Display Planner and selected by niche target audience based on relevance scores.

Should I use CPM or CPC?

I am selling a new e-book on marketing healthcare pratices for healthcare providers in private practice.

and I am an unknow author.

1. So, should I do CPC to sell the book or CPM (pay per thousand impressions) so I get exposure to my book?

2. If I select CPM, are users still able to click on my ad, which takes them to my landing page or with CPM, there is no "ablility" to click my ad?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelley P
September 2015

Re: CPM or CPC

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kelley,
you should make two campaigns, one CPC and one CPM and run one each one week. That way you get the winner and use that campaign further.
2. Yes, they can click and land on your landing page.
Difference between CPC and CPM is that in CPC you pay a click and in CPM one thousand impressions. After my first test you can easily calculate ROI and continue with better campaign model.
Kind regards.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelley P
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kelley,
you should make two campaigns, one CPC and one CPM and run one each one week. That way you get the winner and use that campaign further.
2. Yes, they can click and land on your landing page.
Difference between CPC and CPM is that in CPC you pay a click and in CPM one thousand impressions. After my first test you can easily calculate ROI and continue with better campaign model.
Kind regards.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Is there a way to "copy" my current Display CPM campaign and then change the CPM to CPC? This would make sense and easy, but, I don't know if that is possible. I just created the CPM Display today and activated it, so, now would be a good time to start.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, the best way to do that is to install the Google AdWords editor and make changes there. http://www.google.hr/intl/en/adwordseditor
Kind regards.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yes - simply check the box next to the campaign and then use the copy/past options to duplicate. Then change the bid type.

Good idea to use ad scheduling to run them either day on day off, or hours on hours off and this way avoid having both live at the same time. After a few days you'll be able to work out which is the most cost effective way to bid.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That url to the adwords editor gives me a 404 error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks...I did that, but, noticed it will NOT let me change from a Display Network Campaign TYpe to a Search and Display Campaign type. Is there a way to easily change these two campaigns from DIsplay Network only to Search and Display campaigns for maximum exposure?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
AFAIK it is not possible to change from Display type to Search and display.
But you can make a new S&D campaign and copy your ad groups there. Check settings after that at every level.
But, I would suggest you to have Search only and Display only for better control. It is a little more work, but you have a lot of benefits.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Here is a working link: http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Once you install the adwords editor add your adwords account (File > Open Account > Add Account) and the campaigns will automatically sync with your editor. Then you could easily copy your campaigns, make any changes you need to make and then you post your campaigns.