6.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

CPM in the Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND WITH A DEFINITION OF CPM HAHA!

I understand how CPM works and all I want to know is how you set it up in the dashboard. I cannot find any articles that give specific instructions for setting up a CPM bid for an Ad Group.

I am currently running CPC on the Display Network and it's not producing with a $2.50 bid. Please, if you have hands on experience respond.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPM in the Display Network

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi JBot88,

Welcome to the community.

You can change the bidding options in your cmapaign settings. There is a billing and budget sections and you want to edit bidding.

As long as your campaign is a display campaign you'll have the option to change it to CPM bids (last option)

Is this all you wanted to know or did you need more detail?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I couldn't change the existing display campaign I was running and had to start a new one. Have you had any experience with these campaigns? I'm advertising for someone in a smaller market and I have no idea what a competive CPM would be in our market. Much of our online space is remnant I'm assuming. Any thoughts as to what a good starting CPM bid would be? Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi JBot88, there's really no such thing as a simple "good starting CPM bid" any more than there is one for CPC.  There are simply too many factors that vary too much from site to site, campaign to campaign.  With either advertising model, the "good" bid is the one that achieves your objectives and that, of course, depends upon what your objectives are.

CPM is traditionally used for Brand Awareness advertising and how much you spend here will depend upon how strongly you want to promote the brand, not upon anything else.  If you want it to have a big impact on a large number of Display sites you'll need to ensure the Ad runs frequently and prominently and that's going to cost more than other options.  If you're using the campaign as a promotional device to increase actual sales, you'll fall back on the traditional analysis of ROI (Return on Investment) so again we can't outline a "good" bid because we'd need to know your income options and conversion rates.

Having said all this, I usually use the Keyword tool to give me a ballpark figure then run a test for a few days to see how my initial bids fare.  Sometimes experimentation is the only way to get decent data.  If you do run a test, I'd strongly recommend setting your campaign(s) with a near end date so you have a defined spend for the test that'll end at a specific point.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
First start with manual cpc bidding go to campaign settings and then pic set your maximum CPA.
I think thats what you wanted. (only for display campaigns)