2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

CPC vs CPM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I choose a CPM campaign, does that mean my ad will be shown 1,000 times daily? How does this work?

If I had a CPC campaign, is my ad also shown 1,000 times and I just pay for the clicks? 

What is the difference between cost per 1,000 impressions and cost per click? I'm not really sure.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Samwise S
November 2016

CPC vs CPM

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

CPM and CPC are bidding options and have nothing to do with how many times your ad will be shown per day. 

Impressions per day depend on your budget, quality score, audience , searches and several other factors. 

If you bid on CPC it means you will be paying every time a click takes place on your ads.

If you bid on CPM it means you will be paying per 1000 impressions of your ad, these 1000 impressions may happen in a single minute or over a week or month depending on factors mentioned above.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Samwise S
November 2016

CPC vs CPM

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

CPM and CPC are bidding options and have nothing to do with how many times your ad will be shown per day. 

Impressions per day depend on your budget, quality score, audience , searches and several other factors. 

If you bid on CPC it means you will be paying every time a click takes place on your ads.

If you bid on CPM it means you will be paying per 1000 impressions of your ad, these 1000 impressions may happen in a single minute or over a week or month depending on factors mentioned above.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

CPC vs CPM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

okay thank you! Yes I think I understand now

CPC vs CPM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How much is CPM on google ads? Could i get an answer from a trusted responder here? Thank you.

CPC vs CPM

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Unfortunately, you cannot get an answer for this as each campaign is going to behave differently depending upon a wide range of factors - principally, how many other advertisers would like to get their ad in that slot. The cost of an ad on the BBC website, for example, is likely to be higher than the cost of an ad on a small hobby blog... because more advertisers will be targeting the BBC website.

The best approach is to test. Run a small campaign with a limited budget and check to see if CPM or CPC is most cost effective for you. Be sure to have some meaningful conversions in place so as to be able to make the test itself meaningful - just checking to see which brings you most clicks is not enough.

CPC vs CPM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks xx

Great explanation