AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

CPC tied to IP Addresses?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been looking into setting up a daily budget for my business, and my question is when I get a click on my ad, will I have money continuously detracted from my daily budget if, for example, I have a user with 1 IP who hits my ad until I hit my cap? Or at some point will I not be charged if I have the same user access my site through the ad if the IP is static?

I suppose to better illustrate my question, let's say I have a budget of $20 a day and my CPC is $.25, does the possibility exist that I could have a single user from 1 IP click on my ad 80 times and thus force me to hit my cap without other users being able to see it in the event I set up rules to halt campaigns if I get a certain amount of views per day? I know the idea seems a bit laughable, but I'd like to confirm all the same.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google tends to figure this out.  They either filter them out before a click is counted (invalid clicks), or credit you back once fraud is detected.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/42995?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, Sean. As Shanee points out, click fraud is usually detected by Google. The downside though is that your ad may stop showing for that day, once the budget is exhausted (click fraud is not detected in real-time).

However, what you can do is create a negative remarketing list, using either Google Analytics or Google AdWords, depending on the level of sophistication you want to reach.

You may block people who've visited any page on your website for X days, people who came through a certain campaign for Y days and so on.

So in theory, if the click abuser is human and a cookie is stored on every visit, you can prevent him from seeing your ad again.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.