Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

CPA mistakes?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello.

I have a campaign with 50 conversions (during 30 days) with a cost of $3 each one.

I know that I can pay $10 per conversion, so I set a auto bidding Target CPA of $10.

After 2 days, I have LESS conversion and each one arround $18 per conversion. 

Why this happen? WIll adwords adjust this CPA? Is this common?

**I din't make any changes to the campaign. All ok.

Thanks.

Mat

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isadora R
September 2015

Re: CPA mistakes?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mat,

Since how long you have been running this CPA based campaign? Is it that you just started or it's being long time?

As per my understanding witnessing lower conversions in 2 days is not a healthy data to look up. You should either review the data for atleast couple of weeks and compare it with the past average CPA of your campaign. You will have to give time to this advanced methodology to work for your campaign.

I would also suggest you to read this help center reference for more details: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isadora R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mat,

Since how long you have been running this CPA based campaign? Is it that you just started or it's being long time?

As per my understanding witnessing lower conversions in 2 days is not a healthy data to look up. You should either review the data for atleast couple of weeks and compare it with the past average CPA of your campaign. You will have to give time to this advanced methodology to work for your campaign.

I would also suggest you to read this help center reference for more details: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188

Pankaj

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Switching from/to CPA bidding takes time for the Google machine to comprehend, just like Pankaj (Hi captain!) says, but.... I prefer max CPA bidding over target CPA. Google said they were going to get rid of max CPA, but I hope that has been reconsidered... Maybe it's because max CPA has existed longer than target CPA, maybe there's something different about the algorithm, but it just seems to work differently (better for me) than target CPA.

In either case, you can't just set your CPA bids and forget it. Just like CPC, you still have to adjust your bids over time. "Best practices" adgroup structure just doesn't work with CPA bidding either. If you have one KW in the adgroup who's KPI's are way out whack with the rest of the KW terms, since you can only set bids at the adgroup level, that can really affect performance. When using CPA bidding, isolate your top performing terms into another adgroup (or single KW adgroups for the most profitable terms).

The more information you can give the Google machine, and the fewer variables in the equation, the better job it does of getting you what you want. IMO, max CPA bidding is one of those "hacks" if you will, that makes it the best conversion optimized bidding option available.

I wrote this over a year ago, and although I need to update it, I think it's still relevant. Smiley Happy

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/five-reasons-why-you-should-use-max-cpa-bidding/
Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Panka.

This campaign have 30 days long. Not a few days. So what do you think?? Its take tine to adwords to correct the CPA bidding? Any ways...I dont undertand why allways happens this.

30 days recorda with a cost of CPA of $3. LOT of conversion per days, and suddenly when I turn on CPA bidding to $10, adwords shoot at 18.

Allways happens the same. Hope adwords will fix it on days.

Also, many time adwords do it afer days, but my daily budget is not complete it per day, and I have a average position of 5.

Thanks.

Mat

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Tom.

The issue is why work under MAX CPA if adwords will say good bye in a few days or weeks?

They know why they are doing this.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Tom,

Why you suggest this??

" When using CPA bidding, isolate your top performing terms into another adgroup (or single KW adgroups for the most profitable terms)."

Also, what other TIP you can suggest me for adgroups with lots of conversion??

Thanks.

Mat