AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

CAMPAIGN SPENT MORE THAN DAILY BUDGET - 1000%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As i set $5/day for one of campaign and my campaign spend around $13 for today. How is this possible?

when i looked into my campaign  setting bid strategy -  manual CPC and there is no bid enhancement at  any  level like -  device, schedule and location. Even my ad delivery method is also standard.

Please help to find out the reason why my budget is exceeding.

Thanks

Ashwini

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ashwini M,

It should not be happening. My best guess is that you had spent the money well before changing the daily budget. You probably did not realize what I am saying due to delays in reporting.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos,

Reason you gave would not be possible because the budget is already  set  from last 15 days  and campaign budget is  exceeded in  todays date - 1 feb 2017. Also i have crossed check the budget changes. so may  be some other factor is behind the budget enhancement.

Would you like to suggest any thing else.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Aswhini M,

get in touch with adwords support they will better explain what is going on. also look at your billing tab to see what you have spent on 

- zaby

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Concur with what @Zaby posted above.

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ashwini,

Google states that AdWords can spend up to 30.4 times your Daily Budget, to ensure your ads get good traffic, etc. Google will never go past that max within a month. So if your budget is $5/day, it could potentially spend $152 in one month.

If you are like me, and a little more budget-wise, I'd recommend creating an automated pause rule on your account to run every day at the same time. This way your campaign will pause at that time if it has reached a certain amount spent, to avoid spending any more that day.

You can easily set up a "Pause Campaigns When" rule by following these instructions: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

Just don't forget to also create an "Enable Campaigns When" rule so your campaign starts fresh the next day!

Good Luck!

-Ruthy

PS. Don't mind Lakatos. We're supposed to help you out on here. So if you "don't realize what I'm saying" please let me know and I will help you further! Smiley Happy 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Ruthy B

Thanks a lot for your kind contributions.

• "It's possible that you'll be charged less or sometimes slightly more than your average daily budget amount on a given day. To help make sure that your ad can run a little more on days when it's very popular, your daily budget is used like an average: on any single day, you can receive up to 20% more in costs than your daily budget, but other days will be capped at a lower amount to make up for it. This is called overdelivery."

The above is from:

***   Daily budget: Definition   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6312?hl=en

The +20% per day rule cannot be neglected and ignored. Another point is that in case your daily costs still happen to exceed the budget+20% limit, you'll only be charged for the 20% in excess of the daily budget. (Check your Transaction History under Billing.)

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks  for suggestions .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for Answer