Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Build remarketing list using GA tags?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all

I was just wondering, is it possible to start gathering a remarketing list using GA tracking code already on place? Or do I always need to add a special code just for this purpose?

The idea is to tag everybody who visits the sites http:// pages, but NOT https://, and use remarketing to encourage them to register.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Build remarketing list using GA tags?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vekman,

No, you won't be able to build your remarketing list that you want with Analytics code alone for visitors who haven't converted. But it sounds like you can use the goal tracking part of analytics as a list of people who have converted. That's going to be an important part of the puzzle if you wonly want to remarket to non-converters.

You place a piece of code for the remarketing list on your page. The code is the same as for an AdWords conversion, but the visitor does not need to be AdWords source to be added to the list.

Add the code to your pages and start building your list. Once you have 100 or more people on the list, the ads will be eligible to run.

When you set up your campaign, add your remarketing list in the audiences tab for the AdGroup. Then add the conversion list to the exclusions for that ad group.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vekman,

My understanding of how remarkeing audiences are built is through, in essence, a 'conversion'.  Within Adwords remarkeing, audience and conversion code is a unique ID which links the conversion/list to your Adwords account.

I don't think that GA tracking code alone, as is, will work for you.  Perhaps there is a way to combine these scripts but I have not explored that, I've always set up my audiences in Adwords and manually installed the audience/remarketing code on the pages where I wanted it.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vekman,

No, you won't be able to build your remarketing list that you want with Analytics code alone for visitors who haven't converted. But it sounds like you can use the goal tracking part of analytics as a list of people who have converted. That's going to be an important part of the puzzle if you wonly want to remarket to non-converters.

You place a piece of code for the remarketing list on your page. The code is the same as for an AdWords conversion, but the visitor does not need to be AdWords source to be added to the list.

Add the code to your pages and start building your list. Once you have 100 or more people on the list, the ads will be eligible to run.

When you set up your campaign, add your remarketing list in the audiences tab for the AdGroup. Then add the conversion list to the exclusions for that ad group.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But does anybody can tell me how GA ReMarketing list works when I use TagManager tagging? I`ll make a list in GA, send it to AdWords (does it automatyicly) and then make a Remarketing tag in TagManager with coversion id and coversion label, publish it, make a campaign, ad group and ads for remarketing and I`m done and everything is doing well?

Would be cool if anybody could help me with this. Smiley Happy

Thank You in advance!

Siiri