Guide Me
star_border

Bug - duplicate ads in the opportunity "Make Longer Headlines"

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I applied an automated opportunity to "Make Longer Headlines" for some ads by using the default option "Create new Ad". So now in some ad groups I have

Ad1 - without period sign at the end of the second line , for longer headline

Ad2 - same as Ad1 but with a period sign at the end of the second line , for longer headline

Both ads enabled, because this is the default outcome from the feature. It does not pause the old ad.

Now because the old ad is still there, without punctuation at the end of the second line, after a few days, the same opportunity suggestions pop up for the same Ads, same ad groups. So I am invited to create this structure :

Ad1 - without period sign at the end of the second line , for longer headline

Ad3 - same as Ad1 but with a period sign at the end of the second line , for longer headline 

but I have there

Ad2 - same as Ad1 but with a period sign at the end of the second line , for longer headline, created the first time this automated feature detected Ad1.

So the smart people at google didn't think to make the default "Update existing ad" to delete or pause the original ads without "proper punctuation" and avoid creating a loop in this automated tool to make new ads again and again from the same ads.

I checked and the ad groups have the "new ads" with "proper punctuation" that I created a few days ago, but they also have the original ads which triggered this tool to make a suggestion.

Good job Google Smiley Happy

Later edit : What I would want from this very useful feature is to pause the old ads (which did not have proper punctuation for the first description line) and allow me to set a label for them as in "Replaced ad" , to allow me to keep statistics and re-enable them if needed. Instead the feature adds the new created ad in all ad groups, or replaces the old ads by deleting them.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bug - duplicate ads in the opportunity "Make Longer Headlines

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I've never actually come across this 'opportunity' I assume because by default, all ads I create include punctuation to enable the potential for longer headlines. It's kind of a best practice that I prefer to follow. 

That said, wouldn't you want to wait to ensure your new ads were fully approved before pausing any existing ads? I would tend to think there could be a possibility of missed impressions if by some chance there was an issue with a newly created ad that required deeper/delayed review. As you know, eligible is not the same as approved (search partners for instance).

I can totally see what you're saying here, once an opportunity is applied, why would it continually be suggested. That does seem a bit odd. I wonder if dismissing it helps at all. If that's a signal to say, I heard you but I'm not interested. I can say that I have done this in the past and don't recall being bombarded by the same suggestions/opportunities moving forward.

I really dislike the idea of replacing/editing old ads for the reasons you mentioned among others - it really messes with your data and with the newly announce account cleaning, "removed" will actually be removed at some point.

The label option is interesting though. I'm a big fan of using labels for a number of account activities - including marking new/old ad sets for analysis/comparison, easy activation/pausing etc...

As always, Google loves feedback, but keep in mind you are just one person, as am I.  I think that perhaps the "opportunities" presented may not be intended for advanced users and more of an educational/quick fix type of solution for DIY account managers. Adding additional steps like labels or too many options may over complicate things for the average user - in the big scheme, we're not the average user. I have no idea how often these are used by the masses but I'm not a huge fan of many of the suggestions I've encountered and personally prefer to have a lot more control over the changes made to my account. "Relevant keyword suggestions" from Google's perspective are not always relevant keywords from my or my clients perspective.

IMO, there are a number of things one should be careful of when using these suggested opportunities.

Just figured I'd chime in...saw your post just sitting here.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you are right, I didn't think about the approval delay , it could be a problem.

I expected google to record the IDs of Ads for which they made the automated opportunity proposals and once an action is taken on those IDs , to avoid making the same proposal again for the same problem.

Thank you for chiming in, it was a pleasant read. I wrote this post more to get the words out of my system, I don't expect this feature to be improved because of my forum post Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is actually a pretty simple concept but extremely logical and almost (no brainer) kind of stuff:

"I expected google to record the IDs of Ads for which they made the automated opportunity proposals and once an action is taken on those IDs , to avoid making the same proposal again for the same problem."

Everything is labeled in the back end with some unique id, right? (Campaigns, Ad Groups, Ads etc...) every change or edit likely is as well.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is how the opportunity looks like.

longer-headlines-suggestion.png

I have kept screenshots of before-and-after for all the automated opportunity suggestions, to show what I have done to my clients. This is how I know that the opportunities were presented twice for the same ad groups, same ads, I have duplicate screenshots of these suggesions, on different days when I chose to apply them.

Also I know that this opportunity creates duplicate ads because I noticed there was something wrong only after creating the new ads a second time . When I checked the ad groups , there were 2 identical ads with "a period mark at the end of the description line 1" and the original ad with no period mark.

Some programmer forgot to set a flag in a table for "opportunity_ID_3 applied for this Ad ID" Smiley Happy