1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Budget when changed multiple times a day

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read this page: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375420&from=99468&rd=1 .

So if I change budget $100 then $50 then $10 within a day itself and when I do it no click has occurred, so today's budget will be based on $100 and not on $10.

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Budget when changed multiple times a day

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

utilitiesindia;

Did you go through this section of the article you linked? (Further down the page) : How budget changes take effect? 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Huh... That was an interesting read...

If your budget was reduced, with no costs accruing to that point, that doesn't mean you will be charged your highest set daily budget by the end of that 24 hour period. If you don't get any clicks (with anything but CPM bidding), then you don't accrue any costs, regardless of your budget.

I would interpret the doc to mean that:

If your budget is set to $100, you spend $50 before noon, then set your daily budget to $10 after noon, then you will not get "refunded" the $40 difference between your beginning of the day budget, and your end of the day budget.

If you set your budget for $100, and spend $100 before you reduce your budget, then "You'll be charged based on the highest daily budget that you chose for that day." 

If you spend your $100/day budget every day for the first 15 days of the month, then set your daily budget to $10/day for the last 15 days, then you would end up being about 55/day average for that 30 day period.

If you have already spent more than your now reduced daily budget in that day, then you won't show ads for the rest of that day, because your budget is exhausted. You won't spend up to $100, if you haven't already spent $100. In this case, if you haven't yet accrued any costs, then you shouldn't accrue any more cost in that day than $10.

As confusing as my attempt at helping was, I find the documentation pretty dang confusing myself. Smiley Happy In the specific case you laid out, I would say NO - Your campaign budget would be based on $10/day because you haven't yet accrued any costs for that day.

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Tom is correct there. If your daily budget is $100 and you've spent only $10 and you then decrease the daily budget to $10, you won't spend more than $10. In theory at least.

In practice as the AdWords system is not real-time you might have some costs coming through later which happened before you decreased the daily budget but were not counted for in the account. Therefor if you have a strict budget of $20 for example, then I would not recommend running your campaign with a $100 budget until you reach $15 to then decrease it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

utilitiesindia;

Did you go through this section of the article you linked? (Further down the page) : How budget changes take effect? 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Huh... That was an interesting read...

If your budget was reduced, with no costs accruing to that point, that doesn't mean you will be charged your highest set daily budget by the end of that 24 hour period. If you don't get any clicks (with anything but CPM bidding), then you don't accrue any costs, regardless of your budget.

I would interpret the doc to mean that:

If your budget is set to $100, you spend $50 before noon, then set your daily budget to $10 after noon, then you will not get "refunded" the $40 difference between your beginning of the day budget, and your end of the day budget.

If you set your budget for $100, and spend $100 before you reduce your budget, then "You'll be charged based on the highest daily budget that you chose for that day." 

If you spend your $100/day budget every day for the first 15 days of the month, then set your daily budget to $10/day for the last 15 days, then you would end up being about 55/day average for that 30 day period.

If you have already spent more than your now reduced daily budget in that day, then you won't show ads for the rest of that day, because your budget is exhausted. You won't spend up to $100, if you haven't already spent $100. In this case, if you haven't yet accrued any costs, then you shouldn't accrue any more cost in that day than $10.

As confusing as my attempt at helping was, I find the documentation pretty dang confusing myself. Smiley Happy In the specific case you laid out, I would say NO - Your campaign budget would be based on $10/day because you haven't yet accrued any costs for that day.

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe this is what it says:

Multiple times a day

You'll be charged based on the highest daily budget that you chose for that day.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Tom is correct there. If your daily budget is $100 and you've spent only $10 and you then decrease the daily budget to $10, you won't spend more than $10. In theory at least.

In practice as the AdWords system is not real-time you might have some costs coming through later which happened before you decreased the daily budget but were not counted for in the account. Therefor if you have a strict budget of $20 for example, then I would not recommend running your campaign with a $100 budget until you reach $15 to then decrease it.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I lost track.... I don't change  campaign budgets that often... Smiley Wink

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know how Moshe's reply is selected as "solved". I've not selected any of posts!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I, eventually, neither marked my solution, nor I can see who did. But let me see If I can add Tom's and Karl's...