Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad match negatives

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Just wondering, if you have a negative broad match with more than one word e.g. leather wallet. Would adwords negative any phrase including either 'leather' or 'wallet' or only queries including both leather and wallet?

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt L
October 2016

Broad match negatives

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Matt L

If you have Leather Wallet as a negative keyword on broad match, then any searches with both words (ex. 'A wallet made with real leather") would not show. However, a search like, 'A wallet made with real fur' will show because it's only one of the two. A good practice is to add them both as separate negative keywords. 

I hope this helps,

Jillian

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt L
October 2016

Broad match negatives

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Matt L

If you have Leather Wallet as a negative keyword on broad match, then any searches with both words (ex. 'A wallet made with real leather") would not show. However, a search like, 'A wallet made with real fur' will show because it's only one of the two. A good practice is to add them both as separate negative keywords. 

I hope this helps,

Jillian

Broad match negatives

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

If you broad match Leather Wallet, then you are excluding out any keywords that include the terms Leather or Wallet.

If you want to just remove the term Leather Wallet then you should use either the [Exact match] for that, or use "phrase match" if if you want to exclude any terms that use the term "Leather Wallet".

Also if the term Wallet or Leather is what you are really trying to remove, then the one word Broad match would exude all versions of that word entirely,

So - Would adwords negative any phrase including either 'leather' or 'wallet' or only queries including both leather and wallet?

YES, based on brad match negative of Leather Wallet, and references to either Leather or Wallet would be excluded.

Broad match negatives

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

From the Help desk ( so a combination of both @Jillian S and mine)

Best Practice is to use One word or Exact match or Phrase match, rather then mutiple word negatives

Your ads still might show on searches and pages that contain variations of the terms that you select as negative keywords. Your ads might still show on searches that contain only one of your negative keyword terms if your keyword terms are more than one word. Let's say you add the negative keyword "wine bottle." Your ad might still show for searches and pages that contain "stemless wine glasses," "red wine," or "glass bottle." However, your ad wouldn't show for searches on "red wine bottle" or "wine bottle opener."