Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad, Phrase or Exact match Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new to adwords and working on a web development and designing services project trageting USA traffic. But I am confused to choose which option for my targeted keywords. Either to select Broad match, phrase match or exact match keywords. Which option will be more beneficial for my project that would bring quality traffic to my site by speding less bidding budget?

Amit Verma

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit Verma
September 2015

Re: Broad, Phrase or Exact match Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Amit,

Welcome to the community. 

This is a pretty broad area (no pun intended). Honestly, there's no right answer to your question. It completely depends on your budge and goals. 

I highly reccommend that you understand these options in detail and make an educated decision that's right for your business. 

Have a look at the documentation here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Here's a good basic intro to the different match types:

Once you have the basics down, you can watch this great video which will go into a little more detail and include a few more examples: 

Bes of luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit Verma
September 2015

Re: Broad, Phrase or Exact match Keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Amit,

Just a small addition to what Dave said above, all these match types (i.e. broad, phrase and exact) have different level of precedence in terms of Adwords auction.So whatever the match type you select, make sure that you are following the hierarchy of settings bids in increasing order like broad, then phrase and highest for Exact match type keywords so that flow of the traffic is streamlined and there is no interference if possible.

I would also encourage you to read this help center reference mentioning how similar keywords match to search terms here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj