AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad/Phrase/Exact Matching Multiple Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

Been using AdWords for around 2 years now but something has came to mind.

In all of my adgroups - I only use broad match, I'm very heavy on negative keywords and use them extensively.

My head is wondering, if I have a popular keyword like 'painter and decorator' in broad match, should I have IN THE SAME AD-GROUP the same keyword in both phrase match and exact match? So basically using all 3 matches?

OR should I have another ad-group with the phrase match keyword keeping the broad match & phrase match in seperate ad-groups?

If I had the keyword in all different match types in one ad-group, would Google choose the closest fitting one, thus improving quality scores throughout my account?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author johntriplis
September 2015

Re: Broad/Phrase/Exact Matching Multiple Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi John,

First of all I would add here using lot of broad keywords lead us to lot of irrelevant traffic and we need extensive negative keyword strategy in place to cover that. That is what you already doing. But Still If I would be at your place I will use BMM, Phrase and Exact Match type. BMM keyword match type shows refined queries as compare to broad match. We need negative keyword strategy here also but the work will be less. I add long tail keyword in broad match mostly.

Next, I would suggest you to keep all three match type in same adgroup. Apply adgroup level negative strategy to avoid cross triggering of search query. We usually recommend keeping high bid for exact keyword match type, little less for phrase and least for bmm or broad.

After running campaign and gather stastically significant data, you can take a decision which match type performing better and if you want to create a sperate adgroup according to match type. I think it would be better if you initally take approach of using keyword planner & search term report to gather potential keyword and bifurcate them in adgroup.

Last, I strongly recommend reading this help center article to understand what happens when similar keywords matches a search query.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Please let us know if you have more doubts.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi
When competitive (imp share) metrics were not available at KW level I had to keep match types in different but now these metrics are available at KW level so from that perspective . I still like to keep one AdGroup per match type if time permits. 

You can also refer to excellent article about this subject by @David_Precisera 

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johntriplis,
In my opinion selecting only broad match keyword is not good idea .It would be better to create seperate ad group for all matches and I hope many top contributors of this community will agree with me or they will give you other advice.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys although I'm still confused. Read the whole article but it confused me more than helped....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In re-reading the article again there is one part which confuses me, he says:

Those are BIG advantages for me. They give way for the art of bidding at a more detailed level. Instead of being able to change the bid for only +red +shoes (and all the varieties of search queries that applies to), I can choose to put a different to for "red shoes" and [red shoes]. I and I might very well do that (usually increasing bids with keyword narrowness).

my 2nd question is:

Is it ok to bundle the keywords in one ad-group. Like +hotel, hotel, "hotel", [hotel]
?

or should I be organising it a different way?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author johntriplis
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi John,

First of all I would add here using lot of broad keywords lead us to lot of irrelevant traffic and we need extensive negative keyword strategy in place to cover that. That is what you already doing. But Still If I would be at your place I will use BMM, Phrase and Exact Match type. BMM keyword match type shows refined queries as compare to broad match. We need negative keyword strategy here also but the work will be less. I add long tail keyword in broad match mostly.

Next, I would suggest you to keep all three match type in same adgroup. Apply adgroup level negative strategy to avoid cross triggering of search query. We usually recommend keeping high bid for exact keyword match type, little less for phrase and least for bmm or broad.

After running campaign and gather stastically significant data, you can take a decision which match type performing better and if you want to create a sperate adgroup according to match type. I think it would be better if you initally take approach of using keyword planner & search term report to gather potential keyword and bifurcate them in adgroup.

Last, I strongly recommend reading this help center article to understand what happens when similar keywords matches a search query.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Please let us know if you have more doubts.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I am sorry I was typing while you wrote your last post John. I think I somewhat covered your these two questions in my response. Let me know if you have doubt.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow - what an answer thank you. The article you showed me was perfect and very helpful.

Brilliant! You have helped me sleep now lol.

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Glad to help! Smiley Happy