AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Matched Modified Terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign set up for a Social Club in Hampshire, I've set the geography to include all of Hampshire. I’ve run the campaign for 4 months now and can start to modify the keywords to get better results.

I need the campaign to cover the whole of Hampshire, however there are some important search towns that keep coming up and need there own landing pages.

Question: Which is the best way to set this up?

Presently I have (Good for the landing pages. But ads compete.)

1) Social Club Southampton – Broad Term – Specific landing page dedicated to Southampton
2) Social Club Winchester – Broad Term – Specific landing page dedicated to Winchester.
3) Social Club Portsmouth – Broad Term – Specific landing page dedicated to Portsmouth.

However as they are broad terms anyone searching Social Club in Hampshire will bring up anyone one of the three ads, in essence they are competing. Also as they all have dedicated landing pages someone searching in Winchester could end up on the Portsmouth landing page which is not relevant.

Idea, (Good so ads don’t compete, but now the landing pages are no longer specific)

1) + Social + Club – Broad Match Modifier Term – This would encompass all the above, however the landing pages would no longer be specific.

Question: Does this work?

1) +Social +Club – Broad Match Modifier Term – This would encompass all the above, however the landing pages would no longer be specific.
2) +Social +Club +Southampton – Broad Match Modifier Term – Enabling this ads URL to go the correct dedicated landing page.
3) +Social +Club +Winchester – Broad Match Modifier Term – Enabling this ads URL to go the correct dedicated landing page.
4) +Social +Club +Portsmouth – Broad Match Modifier Term – Enabling this ads URL to go the correct dedicated landing page.

Or so the ad’s still compete is someone types in Social Club?

I have considered breaking the geography down further but this would mean so many keywords etc that it would be unmanageable.

Also considered exact term matches but as with the above there would be so many this would also become unmanageable.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dom

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Matched Modified Terms

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello DominicRenshaw; welcome;

In general;

• Since the introduction of BMM (broad match modifier), I have stopped using broad match. (The synonyms under the broad match are countless: you may find "weird" queries match your keywords.)
  •  
  • If you have the resources and time, I do like a dedicated landing page for every region targeted. That way, you can edit the content specifically for the "culture"/ population of this region to get a better targeting.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe,

Yep I agree the dedicated landing pages pays dividends in the amount of conversion I get. 

However do you know if the above Broad Match Modifiers terms above would work or conflict?

Cheers

Dom

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

You have provided many details / variations: it is hard to follow the structure of the proposed campaigns.

However in the UK, Geo-targeting is not perfect. So, you will need to include other locations as negative keywords to avoid conflicts.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dominic. You are moving in the right direction and those broad match modifiers dont conflict. The +social +club landing page will still be relevant because it is a social club. To make the +social +club  more relevant by making the content a generic Hampshire Social Clubs page and can further increase their interest by listing the locations & phone numbers so that they'll find their nearest location no matter where they're located.  

Extra tip: Since you are using city names that could be anywhere in the country, make sure you use the campaign settings are "Only in my targeted locations" & "Only in my excluded locations".

Good Luck!

Roy

Search Manager

ClickMaximus.com

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Good morning - 

Yes, the new structure you've shared with us will work to funnel the location-specific traffic to your custom landing pages.

To be even more sure, I'd add negative keywords at the Ad Group level. 

For example, I'd add Winchester and Portsmouth as negative keywords to the Southampton Ad Group. I'd add Southampton and Winchester as negative keywords to the Portsmouth Ad Group, and so on. That will block any serving of the wrong ad(s).

If it were me, I'd go ahead and include the Exact match versions of your positive keywords as well since those are likely to provide you with good traffic, but the choice is yours. I'd probably also include a handful of Phrase match variations. 

I wouldn't worry about the length of your keyword list--what's more important is that you use the keywords people search for.  It does you no good to have county name search terms if people are searching using city names.

I know it can feel like this will be difficult to manage, but using AdWords Editor (the offline management tool) really does simplify things. In addition, if you set the campaign up carefully, with a clear plan, managing it will be much simpler. I'm currently managing an account with 100+ Ad Groups to accomodate location-specific search terms and between AdWords Editor and the care I took in designing the Ad Groups, it's honestly not at all difficult to manage.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Broad match modifier is great for geo-targetted keywords.

The down side to broad match modifier is that it can attract 'unqualified traffic' to your site.

Let me give you a real life example on how I discovered this:

Keyword = +business +application

- Attracts predominately anyone searching for (1) business application and (2) application business.

The first search term is fine as that is a software development service but (2) is a form one lodges to the government.

So as you can see it can work against you if you are not careful.

I would definitely duplicate the well performing broad match modified terms to exact matches once you can validate they are lucrative. Exact match is ideal it increasing relevance in the traffic bought to ones website significantly.

I hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help, all sorted.

Dom