AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match vs. Modified Broad - Best Practice?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm sure most folks in this forum are well aware that Google has recently assigned ad reps to most accounts -- a sales contact and a technical account advisor.

Anyhoo... In a conversation with our technical advisor, I was recently told that plain broad match was the best practice for improving QS and CTR.

So, I have a bunch of SKAGs like (for example):

+Custom +Software +Development

And she suggested converting to broad match as the "best practice."

She's a google rep.

REALLY?!?!

Does this seem strange to anyone?

What am I missing?!

Is this just Google trying to make more $$ off me????

Or is this rep's advice actually practical?

I can so easily envision what the google search engine might accept:

Custom Software Development = Developing the Special Technology Architecture in Mumbai ( = yuck, way too far off the mark!!!)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Evan R,

My personal view is if you use broad match rather than BMM, you'll need to develop a much more extensive negative keyword list, and you'll need to do that daily. On the other hand, broad match can be good for identifying new keywords that will perform well.

A strategy that may work for you is bid lowest on broad match, a little more for BMM, a little more for phrase match, and highest for exact match. Another strategy might be to create a different campaign for broad match so you can limit your budget and not spend it all on broad match terms.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I absolutely LOVE broad match.  But, Pete is right that you have to stay on top of your negative keyword list.  I also add/test other match types of the same phrase.