Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I have an easy question for you:  If my keyword is math +help and the search term used is math, should that trigger my ad to show?  I am under the impression that the search term must have math (or a close variation) and a form of the word help, in order for my ad to be triggered.  I thought that this was the whole concept of broad match modifier.

I understand that there are scenarios where the original search term is math, and that term can take you to another field where you can enter get help, and then your ad might show up.  But let's just say that the only search was math.

Thanks,

Danny

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Modifier

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi dannyTP,

"If your keyword is  math +help  and the search term used is math, should that trigger my ad to show?"

The keyword math alone should not trigger the ad from the BMM term, but it could trigger other keywords in your campaign.

Does math show up in the search terms for math +help?

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Yes, it shows up in the search terms for math +help.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

In this case I believe altho the keyword math +help  looks like a BMM it will not function like BMM. 

math will be treated as normal broad match and + help will be treated as BMM but its one word so it will work as normal Broad match so ad sill trigger for either math or help

To clarify this further

math +help +trignometry will trigger only when hel and trignometry both words are present in the search query

Hope in helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't understand.

Why, in this case, will it not function like a BBM?

Are you saying is that math +help works the same as math help? That can't be right, can it?

Does BBM only work when you have two words with + signs?

When you say "To clarify this further

math +help +trignometry will trigger only when hel and trignometry both words are present in the search query", are you saying that math doesn't have to be in the query?

Now, I'm really confused.

-Danny

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

sorry i am working on very bad keyword i meant

math +help +trignometry will trigger only when help and trignometry both words are present in the search query" math doesnt have to be part of query as its not a mandatory as it doesnt have +

on your original question

math +help will work just like math help because any ways math you are running on normal broad match and +help is single word so it will be treated as broad match

Please read more at https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Advanced-broad-match-for-single-term-keywords/td-...

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nik,  you're killing me.

Here's what is written in Adwords' Help guide: 

Setting up broad match modifiers

Just add a plus symbol (+) in front of one or more words in your broad match keyword. Each word preceded by a plus sign has to appear in someone's search exactly or as a close variant. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (like "floor" and "flooring"). Synonyms (like "quick" and "fast") and related searches (like "shoes" and "boots") aren't considered close variants.

My keyword is math +help.  That means that help, or a close variant has to appear in the search.

My ad was triggered by my keyword math +help using the search term math.

The word math is not a close variant of the word help.

Anybody, please chime in on this.  I was charged money for this click.  Do I have an argument for getting a credit?

-Danny.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello dannyTP;

I am going back to Pete's answer, since this is the correct answer;

Let's try to make it clear:

• What was the search term (query ) that you found to match math +help ? (Did you find it using the "search term report").
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe,

I agree that Pete's answer is the correct one.

Pete said that the search term math alone should not trigger the ad from the BMM term, which is math +help.

But it did trigger it.  I used the "search term report" to find it in the first place, and it was math, by itself, nothing else.

Is it in the realm of possibilities that Adword mistakenly charged me for this click.

I know that you guys have a thankless job, dealing with all of these issues.

It would be torture for me to do what you do.

But it seems like it's always..."Adwords couldn't have made a mistake.  Danny (the customer) must have done something wrong or looked in the wrong place or didn't understand what he was saying or something."

Nothing personal against you guys.  I think what you do is great, and you've helped me a lot in the past.  I have many accounts with different IDs.

But I'll let you in a little secret...If you opened up an Adwords account in a competitive market, you would learn very quickly that Adwords makes alot of mistakes.  I mean ALOT.  All the time.  Almost every day.  Customers just don't catch the mistakes, or they have management companies that don't catch them, and they just pay for all of these bad clicks because they don't know any better.   

If I worked as a top contributor, knowing what I know about Adwords, the first thing that I would do is assume Adwords made a mistake, and work backwards from there.

-Danny

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I am sorry, My bad I went through my SQ report again and MosheTLVand petebardo are right. I am wrong. Apologies again

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik