2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

How do I use Broad Match Modified for words like St. Louis? I've heard many different ways:

+St.+Louis

+St. Louis+

+St.Louis

Please let me know. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Neha Gupta (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Re: Broad Match Modifier

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Content E

Your second example is not a valid form, so I would not use that.

Periods are parsed as a space, so you could go with +St +Louis. Whether the period is there or not does not matter.

Your third example would be would be the same as +St Louis.   That means that the word Louis would be interpreted as regular broad match.  I think your first example is the best way to ensure that you're only capturing queries with "St. Louis" in them.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Neha Gupta (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Content E

Your second example is not a valid form, so I would not use that.

Periods are parsed as a space, so you could go with +St +Louis. Whether the period is there or not does not matter.

Your third example would be would be the same as +St Louis.   That means that the word Louis would be interpreted as regular broad match.  I think your first example is the best way to ensure that you're only capturing queries with "St. Louis" in them.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Oddly enough, the second example is what Google Help just told me to do via AdWords chat. I don't believe them so I came here.

Thank you for your help!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Content E

That is odd!  Probably just a typo or they hadn't had their coffee yet. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wait, what? Wouldn't +St + Louis mean the order of each doesn't matter, so it would trigger for the search 'Louis St' or even 'Louis in the St'? Maybe that's what someone would want, but I doubt it for this search. Is it possible to modify a broad match keyword phrase with a phrase, like the following?

+"St Louis" sports equipment

I want 'sports equipment' to be broad match, so 'outdoors gear' might trigger it. But I want 'St Louis' or 'St. Louis' to be in there somewhere because that's a city I care about and not a street called Louis St.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James

To avoid confusion and to make sure that you get the most of your campaign, you could setup a geographical target for your campaign (the city of St. Louis or a radius around it) and target all the queries related to "sports equipment" , for example.

This of course would mean that your ads will not show for someone in, say, California who's looking for "St. Louis Sports Equipment". But if you're OK with this, geo targeting will probably be a simple workaround to the broad modifier issue.

Hope this helps

Jorge