AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would the following keywords be considered as duplicate keywords?

+buy +nike +shoes

+shoes +nike +buy

+nike +shoes +buy

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Khem R
December 2015

Re: Broad Match Modifier

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Yes ...your ads will definitely appear for the search term "buy nike shoes online". As I said earlier, BMM does not consider the word order.

With regards to the preference, as @RajK mentioned below, it will be a combination of your quality score and bids. So higher the quality score X Bid value higher will be the preference. Ideally, I would suggest keeping a single BMM keyword.

Regards,
PN

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Khem,

Yes... ideally these keywords will be considered as duplicate as all three would trigger any query with has terms buy, nike and shoes (irrespective of the word order). Broad match modifier only checks if the keyword that is prefixed with "+" is present in the customers search term without following any word order.

However, you can upload these into the account. While uploading it wont give an error message and will treat these as three different BMM keywords.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
PN

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

My question here would be why do you want to launch all these variations in broad modifier match type when all these keywords relate to the same meaning. Also, for broad modifiers, any order can be considered. So it is suggested to use single term if you want to use broad modifier.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @POOJA N

The reason I asked this question is that if I target only +buy +shoes +nike, will my add appear for "buy nike shoes online" as the nike is appearing before shoes?

Or if I keep all three keywords, which of my targeted keyword will be given preference?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
for better CTR or significantly better QS, why don't you give a try for different variations in phrase or exact match.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

All the BMM keyprhases should be considered as duplicate as all are capable of trigger your ads for all possible combinations (relevant search queries), irrespective of the word order.

But @pankaj1782 and @POOJA N, I am bit sceptical about his another query. I believe the most relevant keyword to buy nike shoes online would be +buy +nike +shoes as compared to other two.

But depends on the quality score and your bid as well.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Khem R
December 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Yes ...your ads will definitely appear for the search term "buy nike shoes online". As I said earlier, BMM does not consider the word order.

With regards to the preference, as @RajK mentioned below, it will be a combination of your quality score and bids. So higher the quality score X Bid value higher will be the preference. Ideally, I would suggest keeping a single BMM keyword.

Regards,
PN

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
In truth to Google all three are identical - although you might expect the +buy +nike +shoes to has a slightly better QS as it would - over time, probably have a better click through rate than the other two (maybe)

That said, there is no real value in having the three versions since all you are really doing is diluting the traffic for what is essentially a single keyword across three.... thus your data would be diluted and less meaningful.

I would definitely add a phrase and exact match for [buy nike shoes] since, again, it could trigger a better CTR and, as a consequence, have a better QS - but I would do this in a separate ad group or even campaign.... the reasons for this?

1. I could allocate more budget to this search term - in fact - I could have an almost unlimited budget on this campaign if the ROI was positive enough to make that "risk free"...

2. I would then ensure that all these searches came to that campaign by adding [- buy nike shoes] as an exact negative to force Google to send the traffic to the exact match campaign (although to be fair, the system "should" do this on its own)

3. This would allow me to write very specific ad copy - with a headline of Buy Nike Shoes, for example, for this specific search query.

Of course, all of this depends upon the volume. If you are getting one such search every six months, then there is probably little point in complicating things, but accounts with large traffic volumes can find that this approach can drive incremental improvements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Steve for explaining the situation in more detail.