Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier with numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'd like to know more about Broad Match Modifier in combination with numbers.

I'm currently working on campaigns that include products from different versions indicated by the year 2013 / 2014 / 2015...

If my product is named "xyz" & I want my creative been displayed only for users that are interested in the version 2013, is it correct to use the following keyword in Broad Modifier: +xyz +2013 ?

And if I use the keyword "  +xyz 2013  " in BM, is Google going to replace the year 2013 by 2014, 2015 and so on.?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Rachel

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Modifier with numbers

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Rachel, if you only need to get clicks from users interested in 2013, please use +xyz +2013 format otherwise you can get clicks from xyz 2012, 2013 etc.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hey Rachel, how are things?

I've tried these out a few times and I'd like to share a few things that I learned from it.

For me, using broad match modifier for keywords that includes years was not a good thing. It CAN work, but let's take a look on the mechanics first.

Broad Match Modifiers are usually suitable for getting variations, singular, plural, typos and that sort of thing, Although "2013" can be changed for "2014" or "2015", it would be like biding for "+car +color" and expect that "+color" would be replaced with the desired color. I mean, the years in that case are not typos or variations, they're indication of versions which for me it's a very important thing.

So for me, I got better results by having variations for they keyword with each year on it, even because by having different keywords for each year, I was able to separate them into different Ad Groups, and give them specific Ads for each version.

"And if I use the keyword " +xyz 2013 " in BM, is Google going to replace the year 2013 by 2014, 2015 and so on.?"
No, Google will NOT replace or do anything with "2013" since it does not contain the modifier. "2013" will remain "2013" always.

Well, that's my opinion on it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I will go with @Alexey C here. Broad Match Modifiers are NOT merely for variations like plural, stemming etc. A modified term in your keyword makes sure that users' search query has your modified term all the time. 

For instance, if you add +xyz 2013, your ads can still trigger for xyz 2014 , xyz 2015 etc. But it cannot trigger for any search term that does not have XYZ. 

Hence, the best approach here would be to modify 2013 as well if you want make sure your ads do not trigger for 2014, 2015 etc. +xyz +2013 is the right approach for what you need to achieve. It will make sure users' search queries have both xyz and 2013, but it can be in any order.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Just to make sure so there's no doubt for Rachel: I never stated that Broad Match were ONLY for variations, etc. My point was that in my case and test environment, I got better results by separating them out instead of modifying the year, specially thinking on keywords + ads + landing page connection.

I agree that you can modify the year, but it's definitely something that is worth to test Smiley Happy

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click