2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When using Broad Match Modifier I have read that synonyms will not trigger ads. However it says that variants will. Can anyone offer any insight into the difference between a synonym and a variant. For example if the keyword I am targeting is +accident +attorney, will queries for accident lawyer trigger my ads. Or by variant does Google just mean plural?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon P
March 2016

Re: Broad Match Modifier Keyword

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Brandon,

This is a great question. You are correct that synonyms will not trigger ads but variants will. Variants include misspellings, singular forms, plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

The broad match keyword "+accident +attorney" would not trigger an ad on the search term accident lawyer, however the broad match keyword "accident attorney" could.

-Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Brandon P

+attorney will not trigger lawyer.  Variants refers to plural/singular, common misspellings and stems. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon P
March 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Brandon,

This is a great question. You are correct that synonyms will not trigger ads but variants will. Variants include misspellings, singular forms, plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

The broad match keyword "+accident +attorney" would not trigger an ad on the search term accident lawyer, however the broad match keyword "accident attorney" could.

-Jim

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks I appreciate the insight. That is what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great insight @JimVaillancourt

However, I was just wondering if the broad match keyword "+accident attorney" would trigger an ad on the search term accident lawyer. Also, for best accident lawyer

Would it?

Thanks.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey there,

I believe that "+accident attorney" would trigger ads for both of those search terms.

Jim